Author Topic: Self sown tomatoes  (Read 3607 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
Self sown tomatoes
« on: June 19, 2005, 17:10:29 »
While tidying up the lottie today I found a couple of tomato plants that must have self sown.  Are they worth keeping and growing on or do you have ot grow from F1 hybrid seeds or whetever these things are called?
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
Re: Self sown tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 17:31:59 »
If it was my lottie, I would keep them in to see what happens.

Mark

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 17:50:32 »
If you need them, grow them.

You will have to watch for signs of 'bush' or 'cordon', to decide on treatment. How? You may well ask!!

We get them every year, from the compost that includes tom plants.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2005, 20:26:40 »
I grew them on once, fruit wasn't that great so I haven't bothered since

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 00:05:08 »
Tim,  I presume the bush or cordon means it either falls over if not caned or self stands!   Will give them a go and find out as I have some space and see what happens particularly as I didn't sow any not being sure if they'd grow outside very well....until everyone else's lottie suddenly sprouted lots of plants.  Poor fruit better than none Merrie methinks... 

Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 07:04:10 »
Can't see why self-sown should affect the fruit.

kenkew

• Hectare
  • Don't look now but...
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2005, 08:02:08 »
F1's come from crossing more than one type, seed from these won't produce plants identical to the parent so isn't worth the gamble, but self sown seed is no different to saving your own seed and no reason for you not to have decent plants from them providing the seed isn't from F1 fruit. 

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2005, 08:26:28 »
At least junkie doesn't know what they're supposed to come true to!!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2005, 10:09:35 »
.....do you have ot grow from F1 hybrid seeds......?

You certainly don't have to grow from F1. Some of the best flavoured tomatoes are open pollenated!

Phil

sarahr

• Half Acre
  • Oooh Shiny!
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2005, 12:28:36 »
Was watching a program on sewage works and guess what was growing merrily away in and amongst all the sewage ;D Not too sure I'd want to eat those tomatoes but I doubt there would have been anything wrong with them.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2005, 13:47:50 »
Can't see why self-sown should affect the fruit.

The fact is Tim, I grow 6 or 7 different varieties from seed in my greenhouse every year which are planted out on my allotment, they are, barring the odd occurrence of blight very good reliable croppers which taste great.

I once grew on a couple of self sown seedlings out of curiosity, to see if I'd found a wonderful tasting new type but it turned out to be a fairly insipid cherry tomato so I haven't bothered again.

Whilst there is no reason to suppose that a self sown seedling is going to be rubbish, there is also no reason to suppose that it will be good, I just prefer to put my efforts into growing a crop that I can be pretty sure will be worth all the effort.

Everybody is of course at some point as curious as I was, I'm just offering my experience, for what it's worth.  :'(

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 18:19:24 »
And greatfully received that experience is Merry but you know the exuberance of youth and as men are never supposed to grow up...... ;)

I will drop a note in as and when I get any fruit!

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 18:29:04 »
MT - yes indeed - but read my lips - or my quote - "if you need them".
« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 18:31:23 by tim »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 20:02:24 »
Fair enough  ;D

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2005, 09:53:54 »
And greatfully received that experience is Merry but you know the exuberance of youth and as men are never supposed to grow up...... ;)
You are well on the way to receiving the Extreme Allotmenteer of the week award !!  ;)

Carry on going where others fear to tread - and please report back as you promised

Phil

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #15 on: June 21, 2005, 20:25:04 »
Was watching a program on sewage works and guess what was growing merrily away in and amongst all the sewage ;D Not too sure I'd want to eat those tomatoes but I doubt there would have been anything wrong with them.

I heard a similar tale from a friend in Crewe, whose local sewer burst and flooded all the back gardens in the street.  That year they had wonderful tomatoes!   :P ;D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2005, 11:06:15 »
Tomato seed are remarkably resilient and passing through the human digestive tract only serves to remove the germination inhibiting material that surrounds it in the tomato.

cf elderberry seeds and birds!!

Phil

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2005, 00:05:50 »

cf elderberry seeds and birds!!

Yes, and car rooftops, dammit!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal