Author Topic: Coleus Canina - the P-Off Plant  (Read 2540 times)

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Coleus Canina - the P-Off Plant
« on: June 19, 2005, 22:29:38 »
Remember that? Newest 'discovery' about 2 seasons ago??

Well, today, I spent the morning digging it out of a client's borders, where it had established, become rampant, and was killing off her little rose bushes, planted in memory of her late husband  :'(   

In another border, which gets little sun, it had reverted to type, lost its coloured leaf, and was no more than a green thug. Got these horrible whitish roots, a real turn off like a mass of ganglia..........really needing to be sieved out. Ugh >:(

No cats around, tho - there again, there weren't any cats to start with - poor lady just thought it was an attractive looking plant :o - Lishka

Mimi

• Hectare
  • Pretty in Pink
Re: Coleus Canina - the P-Off Plant
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2005, 22:33:05 »
I thought that this plant was an annual Lishka.  Has it self seeded or is it a bit more of a very hardy perennial  ???
Take time to stop and smell the flowers.

Hyacinth

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2005, 22:47:15 »
Hardy, hardy, VERY hardy..think Thug, think as welcome as Japanese knotweed in your garden (but prettier?)...had no idea until today what a b. menance it can become  :'(

return of the mac

• Acre
  • I aint sayin she a tattie digger...
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 16:32:12 »
That cant be coleus canina- its a very tender annual, frost got mine :( .
I LOVE OP AMPS!

daisymay

• Hectare
  • Bedfordshire
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2005, 16:46:47 »
I would agree - does not sound right. based on when I bought some a few weeks ago, the care label says it is a non-hardy annual. On the beeb message board here is a discussion about how to take cuttings of it for next year as it is not frost tolerant.

Willing to be proved wrong though as cats are a major problem and the area I planted it in is a wild section anyway, so will see what happens  - save me having to nurture cuttings through winter!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal