Author Topic: Allotments are good for the soul ...  (Read 1655 times)

allotment_chick

• Hectare
  • comfrey is cool....
Allotments are good for the soul ...
« on: January 18, 2004, 14:21:31 »
Despite a beastly cold, I've just been up to lottie for the first time since about November.  First of all - what a glorious day!  Bit squishy underfoot but I kept to the paths to limit damage to the soil and the sun is out!  The celeriac, leeks and swede all looking good and the Aquadulce Broad Beans are about 10" high .. despite the frosts and the winds.   Garlic looking good.

Collected a load of old windows that had been brought up by the previous tenant (was worried about lead in the pain so didn't burn them) and took them to the tip...reviewed the apple tree pruning (should have done it by now - must get on with that...), cleared up all the bits of roofing felt that had blown off nearby sheds.

Had a quick chat with fellow allotmenteers on the desire (but foolishness) of sowing too early and the benefits of autumn planting of garlic.  

Nothing quite like geting out there, right? Feel inspired to do a bit in the garden this afternoon, now!

« Last Edit: January 01, 1970, 01:00:00 by 1077926400 »
Guardian of around 2,950 sq ft of the planet Earth

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
Re: Allotments are good for the soul ...
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2004, 15:59:33 »
quite agree allotment chick, we went down to stick a bin over some rhubarb this morning and it was lovely down there, can't wait to really get into my first full year.  the spring cabbages are looking a little eaten so i'm brewing some strange garlic concoction to try on them tomorrow!

about time i got all my seed packets out again to look at them  :D

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2004, 16:57:25 »
Glorious day here in Holland too but cold. My toes and fingers were hurting when I got home (riding a bicycle remember?). Had some lovely courgette soup in the freezer and once warmed up and eaten, it brought me right back to life.

Aqua dulces about 5-8 inches tall and looking strong! Leeks growing outside the rabbit fencing eaten down to the ground and all parsley sticking through the fencing eaten clean off the stems so just skeletons of branches without leaves still sticking through. -ina

mysticmog

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2004, 22:23:51 »
I've been out most weekends through the winter cos there's so much to do, but it's just so nice to get out there in the fresh (very fresh) air and do something gardeny.  Today was nice - quite sunny this am, but quite alot of soil frozen.  Managed to dig a trench though...only another 15k to do before March  ;D

Still lovin it though  ;)
Peas xx

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal