Author Topic: Ants or aphids?  (Read 2306 times)

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
Ants or aphids?
« on: June 21, 2005, 18:54:12 »
I have a beautiful chilli plant, sitting in the greenhouse next to some other chilli plants. I noticed baby chillis on one of them and had a look at the one in question as it had flowered first. No chillis in sight, but lots of ants and some aphids. There are still some flowers on it and some little flower/fruit stalks that have been bitten off. Squished the aphids and ants and I have moved it outside away from the others as they seem totally unaffected. Hopefully the remaining flowers will still come to fruit.

Now were the ants to blame or were they scoffing the aphids (sorry to the dead ones if they were!)?. Or could the flowers have dropped off for another reason - I did have to remove ants from the middle of the flowers though. Hopefully the ones that are still in the greenhouse will be ok, is ant bait ok to use in the greenhouse - I'm thinking of little feet wandering all over the plants.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
Re: Ants or aphids?
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2005, 19:10:45 »
I have had an ant epedmic this year.  And then they started aphid farming on my plants - you will probably notice them carrying tiny eggs up into the leaves.  My advice is to get a reel of double-sided sticky tape and make some little collars out of cardboard, covered with the sticky tape and put them round the main stem.  You need to refresh the sticky tape occasionally and check that there are no other points of access for the ants to climb up the plants e.g. remove the lower leaves and make sure the plant's leaves are not touching the window or other things the ants could crawl up.

You could probably do with spraying the aphids with horticultural soap (fatty acids), then putting the collars on.  When I did this, I found that the "scout" ants would get stuck on the collars - warding the rest off.  The ants continued to live on the honeydew excreted by the aphids though, as it falls in a mist from the leaves and onto the table.  So the horticultural soap is the best idea, otherwise you will find the ants live on.  And they won't eat any poison you put down for them until you get rid of the honeydew.

Its a tricky old business.  I never had this problem last year, for some reason there were fewer ants.  This year it got out of control quickly.  Next year, I will pay more attention to getting rid of the ants and using the sticky tape and poison before the plant is infested with aphids.

Oh, the other thing I tried was vaseline round the rim of the plant pots.  Pretty useless, so don't bother with that!

Hope that all makes sense. I might take a photo of one of the collars to show you.
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 19:42:13 »
But Vaseline for slugs!!

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 20:18:34 »
When I think of a sticky English summer, it isn't normally vaseline and double sided tape that comes to mind.  It will be from now on though!  :D
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 21:03:22 »
Urrrrgh!! Little swines! I didn't think of that but now you come to mention it the ants and aphids thing does ring some dim distant bells.

Will do that with the sticky tape thanks. I have squashed as many aphids as I could find and the "host" plant is in solitary confinement for now. Fingers crossed.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 22:50:55 »
Shoyu

Ant collar, plus one dead ant.   ;) ;D ;D ;D

Shoyu

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 17:30:45 »
Gotcha, will give it a try thanks. less aphids today - had another squashing session and no ants. Two more chillis have appeared. I'll do the soap thing too.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal