Author Topic: Pea and Bean HELP!  (Read 2904 times)

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
Pea and Bean HELP!
« on: June 16, 2005, 13:59:39 »
Peas - they're just not growing, looking a bit yellow and one looks limp this morning. What can I do?

French Beans - went out and bought some young plants after my seedlings got eaten in the greenhouse. Now this morning one of six has been stripped on leaves - juts a stalk remains in the veg patch. Blast! they're sorrounded by crushed eggshells but obviously I'm missing something. What?

All help gratefully recieved, Love CLx

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Pea and Bean HELP!
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 17:35:16 »
My beans & courgettes are just standing still - & yellowing!!

Come over & look!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 18:42:01 »
CL my beans got stripped to stalk with no obvious slug trail, (and with my usual pine needle slug deterrant scattered around them!) I am eyeing up the birds with suspicion!  >:(  (next lot are going under fleece)  Most of my stuff seems to be standing very still and my courgettes look a bit pathetic, and like Tim's yellowing. I am putting it down to the lack of warmth :(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 20:13:24 »
Hi

My broad beans are growing well although still at the flower stage.  Not sure when the flowers grow into beans  ??? ::)

Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 20:17:15 »
Suggest a bit of knitting meanwhile? Some while!

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 20:22:38 »
Oh right Tim  ::) :P :o  :-\

Don't knit but will do some reading then.  Errrmmm how long do you reckon  ??? :-\
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 21:24:38 »
Doris, I think you are looking in the right direction..........up.
Birds have been pecking away at my bean plants.  So I tied strips of plastic on the bean poles, flapping just above the plants. So far so good.

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 13:53:57 »
Well, looks as if we are all in this one together guys! Actually my broad beans are doing great.

I gave my peas a little liquid feed, but I think Tim's right - better get the knitting needles out!

PS Tim my OH is using my car at the mo, but if I can hook it back one day next week perhaps?

CLx

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 22:48:36 »
What's going on? my first peas are almost ready for picking

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2005, 15:16:32 »
Wish mine were harvestable Merry.   Gave up and dug them out last week (Sugar snap) having been slaughtered by pests so never got above an inch high.  Have planted another variety to see if they will fare any better (Ambassador).

Munched my first Mange Tout this morning though while transplanting my leeks.   Very yummy but not very filling as only one there!!!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2005, 17:21:10 »
So have a laugh at this one then....

My two rows of peas have turned out to be mange tout...
guess I must have had one of my 'senior moments'

Who's a silly boy then?

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

CotswoldLass

• Hectare
  • I love gardening!
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2005, 16:02:03 »
Well at least you got some Derek! CLx

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2005, 16:07:22 »
Most of mine have been munched by slugs and snails before I could harvest anything. Managed about four sugarsnap peas (which were just the most delicious things!) six french beans (although all the dwarf ones are gone) and a few purple mange touts (these actually seem to be the best at fighting the slugs).

Big hunt on saturday filled a whole plastic bag with slugs and snails :o Found even more when I was out watering by torchlight at midnight.

Cut up plastic bottles and vaseline are coming out when I plant out the next lot (and the squashes - slimey things ate my previous sowing of 13 squashes, courgettes and patty pans - too late now for more courgettes this year :'(
gone to pot :D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2005, 16:32:26 »
all sorts of things are getting munched at home and at the lottie but without sight or sign of any slugs or snails.....  I do wonder if it is the birds as we have millions round here.  Strangest thing is some of my marigolds eaten down to the stem. 

French beans not being eaten but looking pretty pathetic and sorry for themselves.  Peas looking.... FAB!!

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2005, 16:33:51 »
Justy - marigolds - slugs/snails again. Have a look when it's raining or after dark and you'll find them.
gone to pot :D

Kevins299

• Not So New ...
  • live life to the full.......
« Reply #15 on: June 20, 2005, 21:20:16 »
having same troubles as you with yellowing and slow or now growth. the people here all feel its the really bad cold spring and slow summer so far. some of mine were hit by the late frost, not hard enough to kill but i think they damaged the plants so they are crippled and disabled in growth ( time to get them benefits)...so feeding with sea weed fertiliser seems to ahve helped and with the warmer weather they seem to be picking up now.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal