Author Topic: anyone got any scythe tips?  (Read 4890 times)

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
anyone got any scythe tips?
« on: June 20, 2005, 16:51:21 »
I've just bought a scythette and tried using it at the weekend.  Every time I took a swing at the grass, the first lot would cut, but the rest just got flattened.

I'm guessing there must be a nack to using it so would welcome any tips.  I did wonder whether maybe the blade wasn't sharp enough.

Bluejane

• Quarter Acre
Re: anyone got any scythe tips?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 17:35:18 »
Don't know about a scythette, but after many exhausting hours using a scythe I reckon the most important thing is keeping the blade sharp - I use a nifty little gadget I got from Homebase, which is about the size of a nailbrush with 2 crossing carbide tips, which you pass the blade through. I probably sharpen after every 10 strokes or so, which seems a lot, but it does give you the chance of a rest every so often, which can't be bad! I think the bit of the scythe that does the damage is nearest the tip, so you need to direct the tip rather than the middle of the thing. Hope this helps!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2005, 19:19:10 »
Sweetpea, this might be of interest to you! I use a hooker!!  :o  :o   ;D  ;D  ;D

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,961.0.html

DP
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2005, 20:37:41 »
This is not the end of the road - rather the beginning.
http://www.thescytheshop.co.uk/guide.html

1. Yes - sharpness is all important. A new blade will not be keenly sharpened.
2. I do not believe in 'sharpeners' - they hone both edges evenly. I like the top to slope & the bottom to be flat. A good old 'stone' or carborundum is discriminating.
3. Although I have used a scythe proper since 1950, my small time favourite is the sickle. One with an angled head. And the tip bashed off!!
4. As said, with a scythette etc, a 'hooker' is important. And a downward & slicing - rather than a hacking movement is effective. Keeping the back of the blade hitting the ground. Difficult to describe.

Oh, well!! Keep trying - but in measured doses.

« Last Edit: June 20, 2005, 20:40:39 by tim »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2005, 22:41:24 »
and it does take a while to get the hang of it!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

ptennisnet

• Quarter Acre
  • I hate thistles....and dandelions too.
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2005, 22:58:27 »
I'm with Tim re the sickle - I really like them.  I haven't bashed the tip off yet but it seems a great idea as I've caught then end in the bunny fence before now

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2005, 08:54:42 »
The problem with sickles, although they need less technique to use them effectively than scythes is that you have to be a bit close to the action when cutting ie the netles can fall on your hand as you cut them. Also being in excess of 6' you have to bend a lot!

Phil

PS I'm with Tim on sharpening, but beware cutting your hand whilst "swiping" wiuth the stone, a thick pair of gloves is not the traditional garb for sharpening scythe and sickles but it is sensible

sweet-pea

• Hectare
  • Wisley
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2005, 10:11:33 »
Thank you Tim and all. I'll get myself a sharpening stone at the weekend and have another go. 
I did think of getting a sickle, but after having spent a weekend crouched down cutting grass with some garden shears, I decided that I wanted something with a long handle so I wouldn't have to bend as much!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal