Author Topic: garlic - falling over  (Read 9421 times)

antipodes

• Hectare
  • W. France, 5m x 20m (900 ft2)
    • My allotment blog
Re: garlic - falling over
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 10:09:13 »
When they are ready the stems go yellowish brown and flop over.  I dunno what our harvest will be like this year, I was quite late, but some of the stems seemed well developed, which is usually a good sign. I planted Spanish supermarket garlic! LOL It is purplish but dunno the variety exactly. Bugger using planting stuff, about 4 euros for a couple of bulbs? I bought a bag with huge bulbs from Lidl, cost about 90p  :P
2012 - Snow in February, non-stop rain till July. Blight and rot are rife. Thieving voles cause strife. But first runner beans and lots of greens. Follow an English allotment in urban France: http://roos-and-camembert.blogspot.com

irridium

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2011, 15:06:58 »
mine are from 'the garlicky company' up in scotland, a porcelain hardneck called 'Music'. they were about 80p each with only 4 cloves in each bulb so i was a bit gutted they were that big and thus, i won't be expecting much of a harvest this yr, for eating and saving. i was thinking of some nice, purplish ones in a small basket that Lidl had a few months ago but i didn't want the disappointment later if they didn't grow well in the UK. did anyone else grow these?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2011, 16:40:44 »
If it looks good, give it a whirl. Some garlics do have a very few large cloves; I like them myself, but I haven't grown Music.

Alex133

• Acre
  • Salisbury, Wiltshire
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2011, 09:08:08 »
Have seen advice not to plant shop bought garlic as often treated with growth inhibitors etc and may not be suited to our climate.

Dug up Marco and wouldn't win any prizes but looked better than I expected.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal