Author Topic: trust?  (Read 2298 times)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
trust?
« on: June 20, 2005, 00:49:35 »
i bought a horseradish from wilkos, planted it then got one from norfolk herbs, planted it, completly different plant, others reckon the one from norfolk is horseradish. Bought a asiatic lily from local garden centre, its come into flower, nothing like a lily!!! who can be trusted????!!!!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
Re: trust?
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 15:10:32 »
We got a horseradish from wilkinsons but can't tell you much about it - just as it started to grow Paul weeded it  :( Men...

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2005, 22:04:39 »
That doesn't mean it's gone, Clare  8)
I had mine in a tub, and rested the tub on top of the soil in an empty bed over winter. Came to move it in March, and it had sent roots into the bed - and every one of them is trying to produce a plant ::)
Did I mention it can turn into a rampant weed?

Trenchboy

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2005, 10:28:15 »
And do they multiply!

Bought 5 thongs from T&M. One came up quickly, but the others took 3 months to poke their heads above the surface.

One month later I now have 12 bunches of leaves...
and they're threatening lettuces. You don't have to threaten my lettuces much, as they are basically cowards..

But when do I pull out the horseradish roots and make  my eyes water?

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2005, 14:06:38 »
Thanks, thats good news  :)- all may not be lost . I'll keep an eye out for them incase they have survived. Hope so - can't beat home made horseradish with Sunday lunch...

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2005, 14:06:44 »
If you are wearing 5 thongs I am sure your eyes are already watering! :-X :o

I broke my favorite fork trying to get rid of horseradish! The stuff has roots deeper than my dandelions (which is saying summit), and tough as old boots!
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2005, 14:21:43 »
;D We liked our horseradish hot so always waited till the 1st frost, but as we don't seem to get many frosts these days, maybe at the end of summer  ??? I'm sure someone knows  ;D Haven't made any for a few years now.  ::)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2005, 21:53:09 »
If you wait until the early autumn (October) you should be OK. You don't have to harvest them all at once - I know someone who just grabs a handful whenever they want some. Remember that it's lethal when being grated, and you must stabilize it with vinegar quickly, or it loses its power.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal