Author Topic: Wet, wet, wet....  (Read 12357 times)

Yellow Petals

Re: Wet, wet, wet....
« Reply #60 on: June 29, 2005, 12:01:47 »
Goodness Lorna, what a very lucky chap indeed!  Glad he's ok though (apart from the sore limp) xx

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #61 on: June 29, 2005, 16:12:52 »
Sorry about last night's rainfall in South Yorkshire.

It's all our fault.

After weeding and watering at the allotment we got home to our sad, neglected garden (too many hours spent on agriculture and none on horticulture) and thought "these clouds will just blow over, like they usually do".

Connected the hose and gave everything a much needed water.

15 minutes later: sitting indoors, having tea, watching the lightning and the rain falling. Poor pot plants must think that we're trying to drown them.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #62 on: June 29, 2005, 22:57:51 »
Caught from the bedroom window.  We've had lots more rain tonight  :D

Trillium

• Quarter Acre
    • Trillium's garden
« Reply #63 on: June 29, 2005, 22:59:22 »
Wow - I've never caught lightning on camera - well done!
My blog is www.trilliumsgarden.blogspot.com
If you're into weather, you can see my live weather station info at http://www.trilliumsgarden.co.uk/images/noname.htm

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #64 on: June 30, 2005, 10:17:09 »
Great photo! Did you do a long exposure?

My fault it rained last night...

After riding, I was walking back to the bus stop when it absolutely bucketed down. I got completely soaked in two minutes. (but rather then than when I was riding!) The roads were so flooded and the cars were making amazing waves as they went through them. But just a couple of miles away, my garden was completely dry when I got home. So I waited, and waited, and waited. But all we had at home was a couple of spits of rain. At 8.30 I watered the garden. Finished at 8.45 (I only do the essential bits!) and at 8.50 it chucked it down! Rained all night and this morning. so I won't have to water tonight (unless it's blisteringly hot and sunny all day!)
gone to pot :D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #65 on: June 30, 2005, 11:32:05 »
Errr can we have some rain PLEASE!  ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #66 on: June 30, 2005, 11:51:52 »
DP - careful... I kept saying that and then boy did it rain! Wish too hard and you'll get flooded! I'll post you some of mine!

Yellow Petals

« Reply #67 on: June 30, 2005, 12:20:44 »
I've been in and out of the garden like I'm on a piece of elastic today! 

Each time I get settled into digging and planting - whooosh!  down it comes  >:(

I come in, start something else, the sky gets brighter. 

I drag all my stuff back out again, get settled and so on and so forth. 

I've given up now.  I'm going shopping in protest  ;)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #68 on: June 30, 2005, 12:27:07 »
YP - I just carry on gardening in all but the heaviest downpours. Then I nip into the shed. Summer rain is lovely!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #69 on: June 30, 2005, 13:17:03 »
Aqui, please send some, we should be OK cos we live on a hill! ;D
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #70 on: June 30, 2005, 13:29:42 »
lovely lovely lovely lovely!  My waterbutts are full to brimming!  However, decided to walk to get number one daughter and her chum from school yesterday, and as number one son and I waited for the bell toring, so the thunder and lightening started.  As the 4 of us walked home the rain was so hard is actually hurt!  We were absolutely soaking wet right through to our pants!  The kids thought it was great, a real adventure, especially when a car drove past too fast and sprayed us with water!!!  >:(  We laughed and whooped in the storm the whole way home!

Today it has rained a few times - good stuff as I sowed more carrots and radishes this morning!  Plus I watered, even after the rain the allotment is quite dry, so hopefully the waterbutt will be on it's way to full again!  ;D

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #71 on: June 30, 2005, 13:44:34 »
Absolutely chucked it down in Oxford yesterday - not fun to drive in  :-\ Lots of flooding and roads closed  >:(
Luckily I was on my way back to the office from a training course. Phoned them to see what it was like at the office, and they were about to evacuate the building - poor me, I had to go home an hour early  :P :D
I hope the allotment soaked it up!
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #72 on: June 30, 2005, 17:29:56 »
Had lots of lovely steady rain yesterday so when we went to dig over the new lottie today, the soil was actually quite soft instead of being rock hard!  Got first bed finished  ;D  Was forecast rain again today (am in East Yorkshire) but none so far although it has just clouded over.  Was forecast more rain at the weekend (hoping to get runners in tomorrow ready) but the bbc website forecast has changed to full sun  ??? - really need some more rain, please (sorry to sound greedy for those of you who've not had any!).

Piglottie

• Half Acre
« Reply #73 on: June 30, 2005, 17:58:19 »
Spoke too soon - just had a shower.  Hopefully more to come.

Jill

• Hectare
  • S E London
« Reply #74 on: June 30, 2005, 19:47:50 »
It's oh so dry here.  :(  Rain forecast today turned out to be a few spots only and then the sun came out again.  If anyone's had enough rain, please can they send it our way?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #75 on: June 30, 2005, 23:16:47 »
Nope, still not had enough!

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #76 on: June 30, 2005, 23:25:38 »
It's left us, so maybe it's on the way. Lots of distant thunder yesterday, and I could just about make out the occasional flash, but only normal type rain. We had a fair bit of that overnight. today, only the odd shower.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal