Author Topic: Soil sterilisation for potting on  (Read 2233 times)

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
Soil sterilisation for potting on
« on: July 13, 2005, 23:31:57 »
I can't afford to buy sterile compost to use when potting on plants so, I microwave my own. First I sieve it to get any large creatures out (microwaved worm is not a pretty sight) then put in a 2 litre plastic pot and microwave full power for 7 minutes. So far (three years) no explosions. The compost needs to be slightly moist to start with. You need to let it cool down before using it. The smell needs to be experienced to be appreciated. It seems to kill bugs/weed seeds/fungus. Large scale sterilisers are out of my league.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Soil sterilisation for potting on
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2005, 01:43:07 »
I used to work at a nursery where spray Chrysanthemums were grown for cut flowers. The smell of a 1.5 acre greenhouse during soil sterilization is something I shall never forget......sadly :(

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2005, 22:24:47 »
I used to do it in the oven. Jeyes' Fluid will do it, but you have to leave it six weeks for it to dissipate.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2005, 23:00:59 »
I don't think its legal to use Jeyes any more?
How did you do it in the oven?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2005, 08:06:50 »
Just put a saucepan full of compost in a low oven and leave it till it's hot through. I'm sure I saw some Jeye's in Tesco the other day.

jennym

• Hectare
  • Essex/Suffolk border
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2005, 18:43:05 »
Yes, Jeyes is still sold, but I don't think you should officially use it a a soil sterilant. (Don't mean to sound too official.... scuse please.... just done a course on pesticides....)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal