Author Topic: Exciting but daunting times ahead???  (Read 7555 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: Exciting but daunting times ahead???
« Reply #20 on: June 21, 2005, 23:29:11 »
Good luck and enjoy it. By the time you reach "our" age you will be experts ;D

What part of the country are you in? We are down south with not enough rain!!!

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2005, 07:09:34 »
I started with half a plot three years ago..I took on the half plot next to me last year when I ran out of space.... plenty of plants and no where to put 'em.

This gives you the opportunity of having decent fruit beds and still grow plenty of veggies. 

A quarter of the plotholders on our site are ladies, the retired male contingent I would say are in the minority

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2005, 09:17:36 »
Google bindweed and couch grass and you will see the evil b*****s.  At present my bindweed at the uncleard part of my lottie is starting to flower (white large open flowers).  If that helps.

As for age - both me and my OH are 32.  Certainly a reasonable amount of people on our site are around our age too.  I think that our generation are starting to realise that we want to know where our food comes from and there are no nasties in it  ;D

Best of luck

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2005, 10:41:42 »
we have a mix of ages but harry who is in his early 70s refers to richard who is mid fifties as 'he's a good kid' ;D
the younger the folks, the more endearing the terms - sweet'art and petal being normal for us (30s)

svea
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2005, 10:53:31 »
I took on our plot last year ( half to strart with), now i have the full plot and running out of room. Even put up a GH this winter and its full to bursting!!!

I just love it down there. I'm 29, female and the youngest at the lottie ( apart from the kids of course ;)).

The old boys are brilliant, always willing to give a young girl a hand!! They soon dissapear when the OH comes for the odd visit and to eat the strawbs! I'm thinking I'll need more space next year!! ;D ;D

We are in full sun for most of the day. At about 8pm in the summer we loose sun.

Carrie

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2005, 11:43:30 »
I share my plot with a friend who overheard the guy who has the plot next to ours referring to us as the "dolly birds" - given that we are both now in our early forties that caused some mirth. We have only been allotmenteering since January but the old guy on the allotment opposite has had his plot for 50 years. Whenever I am up there on a Sunday morning I come away with a bag full of stuff - spring greens, lettuces ... or a few spare plants that he has not been able to fit in.

Our plot was infested with couch grass and it was hard work clearing it out - it has of course come back but on a manageable scale so we are able to grow crops around it ;D. It is worth all the back breaking work for the results you get - last nights dinner included  home grown broad beans spinach lettuce shallots beetroot and garlic followed by homegrown strawberries tayberries and redcurrants- does life get any better 8)

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2005, 17:15:10 »
I took on the plot 18 months ago and am 34 year old mother of 1.  All of the other plot holders are older people 50+ however one of the empty plots has been taken on by another mum who I know.

The annoying thing with our plots is that several are rented but completely neglected and yet I know a couple of people who want one but can't get one.

Mine hadn't been cultivated for years and the last person had just used it for spuds and left the ridges in place which the couch had knitted together nicely.  It has taken me ages to get to a reasonable place but still have some way to go.  It is good fun though and is getting me fit!

Good luck with it! 

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2005, 21:03:57 »
If our plots are neglected for too long then the renter gets sent a letter to clear it up. one opp ours was growing masses of weeds and the seeds heading our way so I strimmed the lot ;D
Now been taken over and looking better already.

pakaba

• Half Acre
  • Smile, Life's too short to worry about weeds :-)
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2005, 22:21:08 »
Hi
I got my allotment because the chap who had it before couldn't keep up with it... last night my friend and i chopped down alot of the weeds that had gone to seed, to stop them spreading any further. and smarten it up a bit,  DH and I went down this morning to mow the path that we are responsible for.    Any how this 'gentleman' came over and was so rude to me about the state of the alloment saying if we didn't keep up with it they'd get us kicked off  aswell.  I politely informed him that i did not appreciate his manner, and that we hadn't even had the aollment for 24 hrs and that I thought we had done pretty well already, but if he was expecting it to be cleared within a week he'd better think again.   Once he realised that i wasn't taking it he changed his manner a little, but i couldn't believe how rude he was, eveyone else has been so supportive.  saying how nice it is to see it being cleared up, but that it's bound to take some time.  I am so cross with this man because he was so negative,and put a damper on my excitment for a moment.   i think he is just miffed that it's a couple of young(?) goorgeous(???) gals taking it over...... wait til he sees the bright pink trugs and gloves we are going to use!!  Next time he comes over i'm going to inform him that we are herbalist and intend to grow rows of dandilions and stinging nettles for our tinctures ;D  I'm glad to say that his attitude does seem to be in the miority.
Thats that off my chest :)
P
reduce, re-use, recycle.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2005, 23:00:20 »
He`s jealous! ask him to swap plots if he is so good.
Probably frightened of new technology and new science producing better crops than his old fashioned way!!! ;D

Try making friends with him and smiling, asking how he is etc... Bet he ends up feeling guilty.......

Failing that ask him if he is.....No better not say that on here :o

weedgrower

• Half Acre
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2005, 23:33:02 »
hi newboy
i am 34 and have had my plot for two years. i am the youngest on my site out of approx 50. since starting i have made lots of new friends and always have a good crack everytime i go down there. don't be afraid to ask people but be careful. one person will tell you one thing and another person will tell you another. you will learn as you go along and you will learn by failing. good job you took the full plot on as the more space you have the more you can grow. because i am young people dont understand why i have an allotment. part of it is that i can grow organic veg but the other part of it is that i have somewhere to escape. just remember that rome wasnt built in a day. take it easy and enjoy. let me know how you are getting on.
                                                                    regards
                                                                              weedgrower
takes over your life doesn't it

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2005, 00:04:24 »
I echo weedgrower - I am in my first year and learning by failure (and I hope later success)  I am doing my plot bit by bit and everyone around me is supportive.  Just remember those who are and forget those who can't.

PS- I am 35 but do not know whether I am the youngest - I do know I am one of them.  But then again - I am one of them all.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2005, 00:22:10 »
Yeah just enjoy your own bit, most people are really friendly and helpful and some are more snotty/jealous ;)
But you can always resort to the GOOD info on this site as good input towards your contradicting ideas at the plot and make your own descision.

None of us know it all, least of all me............(always asking)

Fun though

katynewbie

• Hectare
  • Manchester
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2005, 13:23:16 »
Giggles ;D at 48 I thought I would fit in nicely....but I too have been referred to as "the girl with the badly overgrown plot"!!!!!!!!
Not anymore though...today I strimmed the whole thing and can now see the wood for the trees, I would recommend this approach to anyone!! :) :) :)

only small

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2005, 13:44:58 »
I am new as well, have had my plot for about 1 month. ;D
I feel like I'm the baby now as I am only 24! I think I am doing well though, I have a couple of small beds dug, with radishes and tomatoes growing, just to keep the spirits up! The sunshine is wonderful for the tan but not so much for the baking soil. I think i may start a rain dance tonight! ;D

Only small

Mubgrub

• Half Acre
« Reply #35 on: June 28, 2005, 13:20:07 »
I'm only just 23 so it looks like I win 'who's the baby?' competition guys ;D

had my plot for just under a year, got about half of it under controll (sort of) ::)  but just when I think I'm ready to tackle the other half I get reeeeeally busy at uni and poof!  Time for another monster weeding session.  :o The old boys at my site find me a constant amusment but the weeds take longer to come back each time, just keep at it and don't lose heart when you have setbacks ;D

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #36 on: June 28, 2005, 14:40:22 »
Heh. I was one of the few without grey hair when I got my plot. Since then, after a concerted effort by the Town Council and some very active pensioners,  we have almost full take-up and lots more folk (mostly younger) and this year our Mayor is a plotholder - already the town's planning to do the 'in bloom' competition next year! All you need is a few enthusiasts among the holders and your little-used lottie will have a waiting list!

Keep a diary so you can see how much progress you've made when you feel fed up!
Preferably photographic!

Good luck!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

paranoid mandroid

• Quarter Acre
  • It's me!
    • 21st Century Good Life?
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2005, 15:15:06 »
im a young 'un at 25 as well. it seems as though it is mostly females on the board am i right? i'm male BTW.
Check out my blog. updated on wednesday 30th November 2005 you can say hello to my chickens ;D
http://21stcenturygoodlife.blogspot.com/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #38 on: June 28, 2005, 17:13:35 »
The leader of the city council has two plots on our lottie - and he hasn't grassed up my pond  ;D

Sorry - that spelling error stayed way too long before I noticed it.  Embarrased now!

PS for those coming late pond read pind
« Last Edit: June 30, 2005, 00:23:31 by redclanger »
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #39 on: June 29, 2005, 22:32:49 »
Got a few new people on my lottie site (me included this year) - youngest are 25 and 23, oldest must be about 83!!   All friendly, helpful and great fun.  Trouble is its to easy to spend more time chatting than working  ::)

Welcome aboard and hope you get a lot of out it.
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal