Author Topic: passion friut  (Read 2301 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
passion friut
« on: June 25, 2005, 02:11:55 »
Hi there,
Anybody have grow Passion fruit out there?Are they Climber plant like passion flower. But passion flower's fruits are not edible,but they're very much like Passion fruit's that we bought from s'maket :o.Passion fruit plant will it have fruit in the first year ??? :Because I love to eat them ;D
Yuet

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
Re: passion friut
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2005, 08:31:51 »
I too would like to grow Passionfruit. I have a passion flower in the garden going great guns.

I asked a seller on ebay promoting passion fruit if it definitely produced fruit, but they never came back to me >:( so i never bid.

I would like to grow it in the greenhouse, then it would produce perfect shade in the summer and fruit!!

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2005, 09:41:41 »
Out side they will produce fruit but it is generally inedible  :-X and just looks nice.  I do not knwo what will happen under glass as I have never had a greenhouse  :(
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2005, 21:12:19 »
Redclanger, you mean Passionfruit's fruit not edible ???Why?

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2005, 00:52:23 »
The most commonly grown passionfruit here, Passiflora Caerulea, does have edible fruits, but they're rarely described as such because they're not used commercially, as their flavour is generally considered a bit nondescript.
The purple passionfruit available in the shops is usually P. Edulis or sometimes P. Quadrangularis (the Giant Granadilla).
I'm growing both of these outdoors this year. Started them off indoors in the New Year then put them outside in late April where they did absolutely nothing - like everything else in the garden - in the dull overcast May weather. However this recent hot spell seems to have got them going again, though I doubt now if they'll fruit this year. Mind you, if they even flower, the photos will  be in the Gallery so fast... !
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

Aussie Chick

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2005, 08:16:00 »
Amazin,
Where did you buy them?
AC

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2005, 09:19:33 »
Redclanger, you mean Passionfruit's fruit not edible ???Why?
Basically the fruit consists of all of the bits you don't want - skin and pith, and very little of the bit you do want - flesh and seeds.  And what you do get does not taste of much.  This is my experience from two plants in different places - both pretty sunny.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2005, 21:39:55 »
AC - from my favourite exotic seed and plant supplier, Jungle Seeds and Gardens. I've also got a couple of P Mollissima (the Banana Passionfruit) from them. Check them out at:

www.jungleseeds.co.uk

If their online catalogue doesn't leave you drooling... well, I'll eat my own cooking.

Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal