Author Topic: Account Suspended ...  (Read 10083 times)

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
Account Suspended ...
« on: June 15, 2005, 17:29:26 »
Well what happened was ....

It appears we have become to popular - the shared server we were hosted on can not take the load of our popular little site!

The host I now use moved the site to a dedicated server, as a temporary measure, but this change caused a temporary outage while the internet caught up.

I'll have to investigate what now, as dedicated hosting costs quite a bit more than shared !

Anyhow, sorry and I hope we are all back now!

Cheers

Dan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: Account Suspended ...
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 17:59:21 »
More money? It'll be worth it - just hear the screams when the site goes down!!

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 08:29:48 »
:) I did wonder what happened, but thought you must be doing some work as it went down so quick & then came back as quick with the SC as well ;D Well done Dan  ;D Not sure how we get around the expense  ::) it's such a good site  ;D ;D Thanks  ;D ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

micsmum

• Half Acre
  • Gottie Lottie Now!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 12:09:56 »
 ::)WOW felt ill there for a moment! Thought I'd done something wrong!!!
Helen

rosebud

• Hectare
    • allotments4all
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 18:12:21 »
There must be some way we can all chip in we cannot loose this site, i shall end up in rehab ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2005, 18:52:30 »
This will probably end up with either compulsory paid membership (groan!) or two 'classes' of member;  full paying members/subscribers who get the full 'service'/site and limited free membership.

Not a happy choice  :(

The other i suppose is to become a commercialy sponsored site - probably resulting in rules as to what we can and cant refer to in our posts.

Again not really desirable but better than loosing the whole site.

Never mind i am sure our Dan will sort something out.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2005, 18:54:06 by Garden Cadet »

undercarriage plan

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2005, 19:43:10 »
Phew, I thought I had broken some cardinal rule and been thrown off the site!! Spent a very worried hour trying to go over my posts, and wandering what on earth I could have said!  Great to be back!! Thanks Dan.  Lottie

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2005, 07:49:47 »
This isn't the first time I've come across this problem with boards like this; the software creates an environment which enables a friendlier site than the impersonal Yahoo Groups format, and the next thing is the server can't cope. You'll be getting some money off me next month when I get my annual tax rebate.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2005, 08:23:45 »
Could we not have a sticky topic on the total cost of the account for the coming year with a list of donators and how much they have donated, they could if they choose be anonymous, then when we see the target being reached we could stop donating for that year, any left overs could be carried over to the following year.

Is that not a very good idea as I was thinking it would encourage more folk to donate when they see the target figure being reached?

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2005, 08:28:08 »
I wouldn't want my name to be on a sticky list of donors, and it would be embarrassing for anyone who genuinely couldn't pay. But something to indicate what was needed, and what the current total collected was, might help.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2005, 08:38:41 »
I wouldn't want my name to be on a sticky list of donors, and it would be embarrassing for anyone who genuinely couldn't pay. But something to indicate what was needed, and what the current total collected was, might help.

Then you could be incognito that way you would know your payment has been received, there would only need to be one annonymous to save face but I have seen this done on others boards and most were anonymous, some of the big payers used their real names.

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2005, 09:09:51 »
Now is the Time to Have OUR   A4A [ G8 Summit] :D

Dan: ;)

Set out your Ideas and the Projected Costs Per person that
is needed to Continue Here. ???

How do we make a Contribution from this Side of the Water
Via Paypal Maybe. ???

Its time now to Have your [ Points of View ] 8)

or those Ideas....miss it and its too  late...Its our Site [ Sorry Dan Your Sight] for us ...so lets get it Sorted. ;) :D

Lets not lose this Outstanding Site :'(

Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2005, 09:10:43 »
Then you could be incognito that way you would know your payment has been received, there would only need to be one annonymous to save face but I have seen this done on others boards and most were anonymous, some of the big payers used their real names.

That really grates; 'Look at me, see what I gave'. It would be better if it was all anonymous.

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2005, 09:12:08 »
 :) Agree  :) :)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2005, 09:21:20 »
Robert :D

Dont have to publish a list....but a modest Contribution

Divided into the Number of Members Using the Site....Should'nt be too Heavy for Anyone!! If it is them
that can be resolved
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2005, 09:31:57 »
I don't see that it would be too difficult to organise subscriptions in a way that's free just to read messages but with a small annual charge for posting facilities.  It should be easy enough to set up a credit card account so the site stays open to those of us not in the UK and therefore without checking accounts.

If the contribution were kept to a small, round figure, eg £10 sterling it should be within the means of most users and could be reviewed up or down after one year's trial.   I have no idea how much a dedicated server would cost so please feel free to hurl abuse/constructive comments.

This site is so good and comprehensive it needs to be kept going in a way that holds a tenable future for it and us. 
Obxx - Vendée France

Admin aka Dan

• Administrator
  • Hectare
    • Allotments 4 All
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2005, 09:33:52 »
I was thinkning of maybe offering some kind of membership which offered a benefit, not at the detriment to all other members.

Something like, for an annual subscription, access to the picture posting, and no adverts.

What do people think about that ?

I'm going to be a little busy for the next few days, so forgive me if I don't respond.

Cheers

Dan

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2005, 10:07:43 »
That would work too but I have to say I don't mind the ads.  We can ignore the ones of no personal interest to us so why cut off this source of income?
Obxx - Vendée France

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2005, 13:14:41 »
Robert :D

Dont have to publish a list....but a modest Contribution

Divided into the Number of Members Using the Site....Should'nt be too Heavy for Anyone!! If it is them
that can be resolved

Disagree, that would put people in an embarrassing situation that could ill afford to contribute or plain simply didn't want to, plus the figure of 2318 members is fictitious as a large majority of these folk may have registered just to make one or two comments, died, left the country etc; There are probs only a handful of hardcore active members, I would guess around 200? If that and maybe 20% willing to part with a fiver and that would bring in £200 and I would expect that to more than cover a years subs if not change the Host, I believe Eziboard is one of the greediest Hosts and that was well under £200 the last time the hat went round. ;D

Another option (and I gathered this off our Chancellor GB ;D) is to ask members to pay a ¼ of a penny per post per year ;D

Where's the door? ;D

Marley Farley

• Acre
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2005, 13:55:02 »
  :) Made some very interesting comments there Roy, tend to agree  :) :)

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal