Author Topic: dried seaweed  (Read 1497 times)

Sarah-b

• Acre
dried seaweed
« on: June 20, 2005, 16:02:50 »
Hi everyone, i have a bag of dried seaweed - is it the sort of fertiliser tht you can just sprinkle around plants - ie beans, pumpkins etc?
or is is for preparing the soil before sowing?

thanks,
Sarah.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: dried seaweed
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2005, 22:04:11 »
Is it a bag of seaweed thats dried? ie. straight off the beach or has it been processed in any way?

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2005, 04:18:43 »
Hi Sarah-B,
                  See posts by Portway Farm who says that it also deters slugs if put around plants that they are attracted to. (pests and diseases)

PREMTAL :)

annieb

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2005, 18:27:52 »
I don't really have anything to add about the bagged dried stuff.. but I can tell you that the 'straight out of the ocean dripping with salt' stuff is by far the best 'green' additives I've ever tried, salt and all...

We don't rinse it at all, just let it get on with rotting down (it pongs quite eye-wateringly at first, if you use great heaping loads of it, but breaks down quite rapidly).

I've not tried it as a slug deterrent mulch.. but I must say that's a really appealing idea.. and the next time we're out the cabin, I'm definitely going to try it... I fight the slugs every blessed year and the slugs almost always win...

Seaweed is said to be a 'green' compost additive, though I've also seen it listed as a 'brown' since the ratio of carbon to other nutrients in its makeup is high... *shrug* whatever.. it rots into lovely compost and that's all that matters in the end I guess =)

I'm assuming that your bagged seaweed should have some usage direction type instructions on the bag... I'd go by what they say...  If it's dried and pulverised/powdered, then I'd use it sparingly as an additive.  If it's just seaweed-y bits and bobs, I'd use it more as a top dressing/mulch type thing.

Good luck!

Annie in Norway
« Last Edit: June 21, 2005, 18:31:54 by annieb »

AndrewB

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2005, 19:04:42 »
I use dried seaweed as an organic alternative to lime, can't remember where I got the info/idea from.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2005, 19:17:26 »
Don't know about that but, boringly(?), having helped Father in Jersey in the '30s with gathering vraic for commercial growing, I truly believe in its virtues. Whole, ground or liquid.

Google vraic as a starter?

Sarah-b

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2005, 14:18:57 »
It's from Kays horticulture people. It doesn't have anything on the bag. It is processed - think just washed, dried and powdered.
I'll sprinkle some around the place...

sb

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal