Author Topic: Petrol Strimmer  (Read 4572 times)

pntalbot

• Half Acre
Petrol Strimmer
« on: June 14, 2005, 09:28:37 »
I have just acquired a  Private Allotment and before I start work on it, I am advised ,that Contractos will come in and `CROP` it, because it is overgrown--it is about 2 feet tall.Is it worth buying a Petrol Strimmer, after its Cropped, to keep Site reasonably grass free, as I only intend to Work on half the Site this year. I`ve only had ,an Electric Strimmer at my home address, just to do Lawn edges, but will a Petrol Strimmer cut higher grasses on new Allotment, or only Allotment Path edges ,as the Electric Strimmers do.

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
Re: Petrol Strimmer
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 09:42:34 »
Well it will (if you buy the right model), but is it the best thing to do? Mowing it will help get rid of a lot of the weeds, if it's flat enough a lawn mower will be much quicker (or a scythe :) much quieter). Once it's been 'cropped' though you could cover the bit you're not using -say with black plastic (or carpet, or cardboard &c.) and that will kill off the grass and weeds and leave you with an easier to dig surface. Or you could just plant spuds &c. through the plastic next year.

Jeremy

pntalbot

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2005, 11:22:30 »
THANKS FOR INFO JEREMY, SO PLEASE WHAT IS THE RIGHT MODEL ? ? JUST BEEN ADVISED SOME PETROL STRIMMERS HAVE `BLADES, IS THIS THE ONE AND IF SO, WHAT IS NAME /MODEL
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 11:37:54 by pntalbot »

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2005, 12:11:50 »
http://www.diy.com/diy/jsp/bq/product/product.jsp?CATID=8090037&entryFlag=false&PRODID=8080102&paintCatId=

Petrol strimmer for under £50 !!

bloke next to us has one and it seems pretty good !
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2005, 12:43:06 »
Don't want to come across as an expert on petrol strimmers, just to point out that they're not necessarily the right tool for the job. Ones with blades are called brush cutters and should deal with heavier stuff like brambles as well, depending on what's on your patch I guess you might need one of these.

Personally I use a scythe on my area of grass -I think it's quicker and easier, always starts too :)

BTW reading your first post again a strimmer won't keep your bit grass free, it'll just keep the grass short. How are they going to 'crop' your plot -just cut down what's there or will they turn it in somehow?

Jeremy

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2005, 14:08:31 »
go to B&Q they have a good selecdtion and they are quite cheep

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2005, 16:59:19 »
we have just bought a Stihl one and my husband assures me it is the dogs you know whats however he is a bit sad and enjoys mowing and strimming.  We got ours for £100.

Fingle....

• Acre
    • The locals in my local
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2005, 17:49:26 »
I got my Kawasaki from the council for nothing as it didnt work.
De-coked the exhaust port and it works a dream
----"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." -Groucho Marx---

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2005, 20:41:35 »
That's good

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2005, 11:14:33 »
Do you have grass paths between plots? we do, and given the slope of the land, it's a nightmare to keep short with shears. I've gone through a pair of hand shears (the one-handed ones - snapped cable and mounting),  an electric strimmer (couldn't cut anything thicker than normal blades of grass and batteries stopped holding charge after a few months) and finally got a cheapo McCulloch petrol strimmer. Had that a couple of years now and I definitely wish I'd got it first!

As I've said in other places, if you get a petrol strimmer, remember the additional expenses of VITALLY IMPORTANT hearing protectors, goggles or mask eye protectors,  a petrol can and a  mixing bottle (don't mix your 2 stroke oil with the petrol directly in your can).  Not forgetting the petrol and oil themselves!

moonbells

Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal