Author Topic: bitter carrots  (Read 1511 times)

Justy

• Hectare
bitter carrots
« on: June 15, 2005, 19:49:08 »
Hi all - I planted a container with Paris Market Carrots the trouble is they are really bitter.  Is this right?!  The first one that we pulled my son ate and said was lovely but he has had a couple since but did not want them and when I tasted it I could see why -  they were horrible!

Any ideas why?   ???

Rosa_Mundi

• Acre
Re: bitter carrots
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2005, 21:05:04 »
Only possible thing I can think of is that they are meant to be harvested young, but I don't know the variety. Was there a particularly long time between pulling them?

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
Re: bitter carrots
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2005, 22:30:55 »
Only possible thing I can think of is that they are meant to be harvested young, but I don't know the variety. Was there a particularly long time between pulling them?

The only experience I've got in growing carrots in containers was Amsterdam forcing. I was quite disappointed in the taste as I could swear it was soapy.
The early outdoor ones (Nantes) are also a bit soapy if you eat the thinnings but get sweeter as they get bigger. This is the logic behind baby veg seed - they are bred to get the sugars earlier than they normally would, hence tasting mature when they're still tiny. After that they lose it again. My baby sweetcorn are awful once they get too big. Woody tasting.

Perhaps there's an optimum window with the carrots - outside which you get nasty tasting veg?

Just guessing...

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal