Author Topic: Allotment Insurance  (Read 1718 times)

villagedefender

• Not So New ...
Allotment Insurance
« on: June 16, 2005, 12:05:11 »
I rent a private allotment from a private landlord. It is too far from my house to be covered by contents insurance and I don't want to carry my tools back and forth. Has anyone ever got cheap insurance for their allotment if so who from, and should I get public liabaility or will that be the landowners responsibility?

James

Sprout

• Acre
Re: Allotment Insurance
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2005, 12:49:41 »
I rent a council owned allotment and was offered insurance by my 'organiser'. I wasn't really listening at the time as was busy digging up couch grass but seem to recall mention of £15 and covering injury to people coming onto my plot. Perhaps would have paid more attention if mention was made of covering against vandalism or theft. Sorry, not much use to you really is it?
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2005, 14:40:51 »
It's worth shopping around for contents insurance. I know at least one of our tenants is covered for his lottie under his household insurance.

philandjan

• Half Acre
  • It wasn't us!
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2005, 15:43:09 »
If your home contents insurance covers you against "all risks" or items away from the home you should be covered.

Will check out chapter and verse, though.
Once upon a time we were the newbies from Harley allotments. Now we're old codgers!

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2005, 22:53:41 »
As regards public liability, £15 a pop is ludicrous. I think we pay £153 a year on our 17 acre site, so if a load of tenants on a council run site want insurance it might be an idea to create an 'association' to purchase insurance en bloc.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal