Author Topic: first peas  (Read 5617 times)

Andy H

• Hectare
Re: first peas
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2005, 17:26:29 »
Thanks for that, so only real equipment is demijohn and air lock thing... What is racking off?

May have a go at this :D

Andy

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2005, 17:32:46 »
Racking off is pouring the wine gently into another container, leaving the gunk at the bottom behind. Since we use airtight containers these days, the oxygenation gained is vital for proper maturing.

ruudbarb

• Half Acre
  • Let's get dirty and dig up the spuds..........
« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2005, 20:53:03 »
Thanks for that, so only real equipment is demijohn and air lock thing... What is racking off?

May have a go at this :D

Andy

The easiest way to rack wine from a demi without dragging all the sludge with it is by using a syphon tube and a piece of stiff plastic tube with a 'top hat' on the end to keep the stuff out - visit your friendly local home brew shop and they'll put you right.  Most are keen enthusiasts and very helpful.  You will need sterilisation powder to properly clean the equipment and is easy to use.  Rinse well afterwards.

You could shove a bit of white wine concentrate into the must to give it a bit of oomph as peas make a 'thin' wine as do runner beans.  Don't forget you can make wine from almost every edible fruit and veg but root crops need an extra year to mature. 

Stay sober....... ::) ::) ::)

PREMTAL

• Half Acre
  • CULTIVATE THE EARTH TO FEED THE SOUL
« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2005, 02:39:43 »
Hi Andy H,
                In my rush to get finished I missed out the most important part. ::)

Having added the juice, zest and ginger add the wine yeast before covering the bucket.

Sorry about that ::)

PREMTAL

Belinda

• Half Acre
  • Still learning
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2005, 10:47:46 »
I realise this should probably be in the drink section but wanted to let you know of a website I found very interesting for all things to do with wine making - http://www.ralpharama.co.uk/wine/

Regards, B

littleweed

• Not So New ...
« Reply #25 on: June 18, 2005, 22:49:54 »
Do peas pods get to the right size and then spend the last bit of energy fattening up the peas, my pods look (and taste) great but the peas are extremely small.  Perhaps I am picking prematurely ? ???
Time grows for all who know how to use it

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: June 18, 2005, 23:00:10 »
with the light behind them you should see the peas in the pod and I think you pick them "just" before they are touching, nice though aren`t they!!! :P

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #27 on: June 18, 2005, 23:49:50 »
With practice you can tell from looking at the pods. Don't worry, it'll come. Look for the plump pods.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 20, 2005, 23:52:40 »
What you really want, the day before you pick them, is a good steady downpour of rain, followed by a nice warm sunny afternoon.  Then all your baby peas will be nice swollen peas!  I always give the pods a little squeeze, and if they are firm, I pick.  If the kids get carried away and pick flat pods, they get cooked whole!  Am picking peas daily now!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: June 20, 2005, 23:55:40 »
Just picked 9lb(in the pods) Parrot thought he had died and gone to heaven when he landed on the table ;D ;D ;D

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: June 21, 2005, 21:24:28 »

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: June 21, 2005, 21:37:05 »
Crikey, how many plants do you all have to be picking that many???
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: June 21, 2005, 21:52:44 »
Millions!!! :D

About 60 for that lot but got some later ones and even later ones just gone in GH!!! I just happened to say that we should do a few more next year as our 1st ever peas were so nice!

And Hey Presto! Millions of them handed to me :o

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal