Author Topic: harvested and ate today  (Read 4506 times)

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
Re: harvested and ate today
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 18:20:48 »
Ah, they are worth waiting for. I too like them ripe, red through and through. Thought I'd show them to you to get your taste buds ready for your own hehehe.

Portway, I don't really understand what you mean with forcing them on. Mine are outside too but they never get covered in winter and I only put the straw around them when the ground is warmed up and the fruits are forming.

portway farm

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 18:34:17 »
Sorry meant with a poly tunnel.

Charlotte Sometimes

• Half Acre
  • Charlie
    • Charlie's Homepage
« Reply #22 on: June 14, 2005, 23:00:53 »
tis not a bucket, it's my spade

I had always wondered!

Those strawbs look yummy.  I really must try my hand at some fruit next year, but I'm only just getting my head round veggies!  ;)
Interests: Vegetables, Annuals & Songwriting.  Click here to listen to Charlie's songs.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #23 on: June 15, 2005, 15:48:03 »
I've just harvested over 5lbs of strawbs from the allotment. I think I can confidently say it will be our best year. (No doubt there will now be a disaster). Chuffed to bits. We haven't eaten them all.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: June 15, 2005, 16:46:56 »
just had my one lone ripe strawberry and it was the nicest strawb I have ever eaten.  It was really only just ripe but so soft and sweet!  Nothing like the rock hard watery ones from supermarkets.  So pleased that I didn't pick off the flowers as it is their first year (no way strong willed enough for that!)

Now just waiting for the rest to ripen!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #25 on: June 15, 2005, 17:05:51 »
Oh yes. I ate the first rasp. Mmm mmm.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #26 on: June 15, 2005, 23:51:39 »
So you don't have slugs then????.......!!!!     ::)
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #27 on: June 16, 2005, 08:41:41 »
Not climbing up my raspberries so far!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #28 on: June 16, 2005, 09:29:41 »
They look delicious Ina - makes my mouth water. Our first year growing strawbs and although there are quite a few fruits forming they are still small and green - can't wait to taste our first fruits...

ina

• Hectare
    • My Homepage
« Reply #29 on: June 16, 2005, 15:58:28 »
So you don't have slugs then????.......!!!!     ::)

Yes, there are some slugs but they leave nice clean holes hehehe.

Clairenpaul, if you have never tasted home grown strawberries, you will not believe it is the same fruit you buy in the shops, honest. How often do you get a store bought strawberry that is red all the way through? I wish I could be a fly on the wall when you eat your first home grown strawberry. Every year again, I am surprised at how good they really are.

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #30 on: June 16, 2005, 16:41:42 »
I cannot eat shop-bought strawbs anymore - they are just not strawberries! even the tiny little pea-sized alpine strawbs from my garden have more taste than a punnet full from sainsburys! the trick is to pick them, wash them and eat them straight away.

(I eat the slug-nibbled ones too!)
gone to pot :D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal