Author Topic: Meal worms  (Read 1686 times)

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
Meal worms
« on: June 11, 2005, 17:29:40 »
Anyone been watching Oddie and co.?. He said about putting out mealworms for the young birds..if I do will they harm plant roots? also does anyone else do it? how do you keep them? I wouldn't be able to shop every day. I was thinking next year when they start nesting I might do this, but I still want my plants to be okay.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Carol

• Hectare
  • Scottish Borders, Berwickshire
Re: Meal worms
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2005, 20:07:33 »
Hi Val
I urgently sent for Meal Worms last year when my female blue tit was left to feed her young after the sparrowhawk killed the male.   They duly arrived in tubs (sealed) and I kept them in the garage as they need to be in a cool place. There is bran inside the tubs to feed the worms and if you want you can add some more bran  to keep them going if you haavent fed all the worms o the birds.  I put the worms into a small steep sided dish and placed it on the bird table.  The birds ignore them for a while and you will probably find the Starlings will find them first, followed by the Robin.   The meal worms didn't last long maybe a couple of days.  I havent bought any this year.  Give it a try. 

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2005, 23:12:16 »
Mealworms are the larvae of a beetle which feeds on stored cereal, particularly when it goes damp and mouldy. You casn breed them easily; all you need is a large container with airholes or fine mesh to let them breathe. Fill it with bran, add mealworms, keep it somewhere that isn't too dry, and give them time. Occasionally you need to sieve the contents out and add more bran, but the fine stuff at the bottom will contain masses of mealworm eggs so put it in a second container, add some bran, leave till they reach a reasonable size, then sieve it again and sling the bran mixed with mealworms back into the first container. You can produce masses that way, quite easily.

Val

• Hectare
  • I hate those mieces to pieces
    • Wrinkles
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2005, 16:05:10 »
Thanks, I'll give it a try next year, I do like to give young parents a helping hand they work so hard, its non stop flying back and forwards, I'm surprised they ever find enough food.
"I always wanted to be somebody…but I should have been more specific."

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 18:32:16 »
Start raising them in good time; it takes a while. They're a very rich food and I seem to remember they're better for adults, in limited quantities, than young.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal