Author Topic: makes the hard work worth it!  (Read 2406 times)

Justy

• Hectare
makes the hard work worth it!
« on: June 06, 2005, 19:33:58 »
below is picture of my 4 year old son holding our first ever carrot! As soon as it came out of the soil he wanted to eat it and went running through to the kitchen to wash it.  2 seconds later it was gone!  It was actually a bit soon to dig it up (it is supposed to be a round Paris Market!) and the little bit of it he gave me was a bit bitter (which I hope is just because it was a bit immature).  However all that aside my aching back did not seem so bad when I saw his face light up!! ;D

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: makes the hard work worth it!
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 19:56:12 »
Love it!

Georgie

• Hectare
  • Enfield, North London
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 20:32:28 »
Awwww  ;D

G xx
'The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.'

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 20:50:29 »
;D A proud son indeed ;D forget the carrot, I could eat him ;D Bless ;)

honeybee

• Hectare
  • Cheshire
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 21:19:45 »
Yep, cute son, and cute carrot  ;D

spacehopper

• Hectare
  • Its a jungle out there...
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 21:25:43 »
 ;D Aaw, well done, give him a big hug from me.
Make the most of today, because you'll never have it back again.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2005, 23:06:37 »
And some people wonder why we do it!  Fabulous!

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2005, 23:16:09 »
I remember the first time I saw my Dad digging Spuds out of the ground, gave me a feeling of total surprise & wonder, getting them interested at a young age is great, you can feel exactly what they're experiencing :) :) :)

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 08:37:34 »
not easy getting him interested as if it isn't a train he doesn't want to know!  It doesn't help that my veggies are like my second child and I am a bit protective. ::)  Yesterday we went to lottie and I decided to be brave and he planted all the marigolds with me and I just let him do his thing and he really enjoyed it (think the flowers may die but hey ho!)  Then he had great fun with the hosepipe 'giving all the plants (and the weeds, grass, trees, shed, bench etc) a drink'.  But you are right Merry Tiller - he can already recognise most veg and at least knows that they grow!

shirl

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 13:12:05 »
What lovely pictures, thank you for sharing them :-)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 13:24:02 »
lovely!

Would he normally be so keen to eat a carrot?

I cannot even imagine not understanding about food growing. Mum wasn't hugely into growing veg when I was a kid, but I can't remember ever not knowing that they grow. but I was a strange child who liked (and still does) sprouts and cabbage (as long as it's not boiled to hell!)
gone to pot :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2005, 15:00:15 »
I am a protective mother with my seedlings and plants, so this year I gave the kids grow bags and tubs and pots filled with compost, coloured labels, and access to all of my seeds.  All three of them now have their own veggie gardens which are doing really well!  James and Jessica have peas, carrots and onions, then the three of them have spring onions, lettuce, radish and basil.  Jessica also has 5 sunflowers.  They also have the strawberry bed in their play garden which is packed with plants all covered in fruits at the moment.  It is a fab way of them learning how to look after things, and have respect for the plants, and then, hopefully, enjoy eating them.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2005, 16:48:10 »
must admit he does like his veg and don't really have any problems getting him to eat them - although he is not very adventurous.
 Have any of you been to Ryton Organic Gardens (just outside Coventry).  They have a Vegetable Kingdom there and it is fab for kids with loads of interactive stuff for them to give them more understanding of veg and where it comes from.  I work in a rural school so not too much  of a problem as a lot of kids live on farms but I will never forget watching Jamies School Dinners and all those kids who couldn't name any of the vegetables and the one kid (about 10 years old) who was too scared to try a strawberry.   

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2005, 20:32:01 »
Hi Justy !

Nice carrot and beautiful son !

It is very nice when you reap the fruit of your hard labour.  Tonight, I dug up some radishes as big as clementines and VERY tasty.  I was so very proud as I planted them myself!
And the beauty is I did not spray them with anything!

Happy gardening  :D ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

ellkebe

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2005, 23:14:35 »
Justy, he is a darling!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2005, 09:23:20 »
thank you all!  He is actually eating a piece of orange which he is trying to stuff down quickly so he can eat the carrot before I do!!

Irish Eyes

• Not So New ...
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2005, 09:41:10 »
I'm with Justy, I watched Jamies school dinners and was shocked that children could not identify some commom vegetables. This is my first year with an allotment, up to now I have to admit I wasn't a big fan of some veg. especially members of the brassica family. But now that I've grown it myself surely that will all change. I do love potatoes, carrots, celery & peas and very rarely does a day pass without onions being included in my diet. These are the veg I particularly love the rest I can take or leave but I have had fun watching them grow.

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2005, 12:31:37 »
Bless, he is a little stunner  ;D. Fine looking carrot too  ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal