Author Topic: growing potatoes in bins  (Read 1798 times)

anniemazz

• Not So New ...
growing potatoes in bins
« on: June 08, 2005, 17:25:53 »
Hiya, I have been told that you can grow spuds in bins adn as the plant grows you layer on the soil.  Is this true?  Has anyone tried it?  My ground is really stoney and I thought i could grow some spuds in this way.
Thanks

Justy

• Hectare
Re: growing potatoes in bins
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 18:18:34 »
Hi Annie - it certainly is possible - check out the thread below!

http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,7174.0.html

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!

bunnycat

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 19:02:56 »
I'm growing spuds in compost sacks, this year.
So far, the bit that's above the soil is growing well and looking very strong and healthy...........it remains to be seen what I end up with below the soil :D

anniemazz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 22:07:54 »
Thanks for the links and replies.  I'm gonna go for it this weekend - need to get cheap bins/pots.  Will let you know how it goes.
Annie :D

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 20:11:46 »
Annie,  before I got my allotment I used to grow Sharpes Express, an early potato in black plastic dustbins with a few holes drilled or melted in the bottom.

A few inches of ordinary compost in the bottom, tubers on top and then about 6 inches of compost on top.  Every time plants got about 6 inches high I added more until just the top two leaves showing.

Crop not as big as you get in the ground but just as tasty.  Be careful not to overwater though or they go soggy and mouldy. 

Good luck!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal