Author Topic: Cordon tomatoes with "sunflower" blooms  (Read 1827 times)

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Cordon tomatoes with "sunflower" blooms
« on: June 10, 2005, 12:49:11 »
I have some cordon tomatoes called "Black Krim" (beefsteak from Russia) and many of them have developed an unusually large flower at/near the growing tip; the flower is many times larger than the others developing on trusses below them.
I have done gone and pinched them off - now I wonder if I should have done it. ::)

Does anyone have any info about this type of flower?
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Cordon tomatoes with "sunflower" blooms
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 12:52:31 »
I somtimes find big, almost flattened flowers on my beefsteak toms, but I leave them to it and normally get an odd shaped tom.  Wonder if it is where the flower bud is damaged in some way when it is a teeny. 

So, is the flower actually at the top of the plant, so the to won't grow upwards any more?  Curious!

weedin project

• Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 12:55:03 »
Hi EJ

it's not right at the very top, but usually the highest point - the size of it seems to force the new growth to one side.  Don't know if it continues to grow or not, that's what I'm worried about :o
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 12:59:07 by weedin project »
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 18:06:33 »
Would this be an example of fasciation where stems & sometimes flowers flatten out & enlarge. It happens to lots of plants the commonest that I know being forsythia.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 19:24:58 »
It's genetic, most of my large toms are the same

ruud

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 19:58:06 »
No worry a lot of my tommies got them.mostly there is a big odd shaped tommie as result.It is as if more flowers grow as one.

weedin project

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2005, 23:18:16 »
I've never heard of fasciation before.  However this seems to be happening more than "sometimes" - out of 14 plants I think about 10 have had this feature so far.

Merry Tiller's post seems the most reassuring so far, so I'll assume there is a genetic disposition and that the plants will continue to develop OK.

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 00:37:20 »
Fascination?-who ever said they grow like boring hybrids?-the proof is in the eating

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal