Author Topic: corn in pots?  (Read 1207 times)

shaolin101

• Half Acre
    • Kungfu and Fitness in London
corn in pots?
« on: June 10, 2005, 16:52:26 »
I started some sweetcorn in my propogator as the garden was a bit chilly and they are looking ok.

I now need to transfer them. My garden was left as a bit of a building site so everything is going in pots until i can sort it.

can corn grow in pots, obviously they grow tall and could get knocked down so what diameter should i go for. I am looking for the smallest that is feasable as I have about 8 of them and want to use as little space as possible.

many thanks
Liam
Keep getting worried that the stuff I grow will taste nasty - or turn out poisonous!

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: corn in pots?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 17:42:00 »
Hello i think you would struggle sweetcorn have really long roots. Could you not prepare the ground just for the plants?

weedin project

• Acre
  • twig > leaf > flower > fruit > juice > WINE!!!
Re: corn in pots?
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 21:36:29 »
Mrs Project and I went to West Dean Gardens last year for both the tomato and the chilli festivals.  They had sweetcorn growing in quite large pots there with other veg such as tumbling toms and lettuce in the same pot.  It looked quite effective, and seemed to have worked. 
For wind pollination they had 2 sweetcorn plants in each pot. 
Mrs Project persuaded me to do 2 such pots this year as I had a few spare plants.  I have to say the corn in them isn't coming on as well yet as their siblings in the ground (but the tumbling toms are way ahead!).
"Given that these are probably the most powerful secateurs in the world, and could snip your growing tip clean off, tell me, plant, do you feel lucky?"

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal