Author Topic: Death of My Strawberries  (Read 1911 times)

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
Death of My Strawberries
« on: June 06, 2005, 11:04:44 »
Something has happened to my strawberries.... When I was at my lottie on thursday night, my straberries were coming along great. Some were beginning to ripen.  ;D  I made a mental note to myself that I needed to net them up to protect from the birds,.

When i returned to do the netting on sunday several plants had died. Leaves brown and dead....  Looks as if the were stepped on, but none of the fruit was crushed. (Red Herring i think)

On closer inspection i saw some small white bugs among the fuzz on the stem of the leaves..... ???  Some sort of aphid?

Could they have killed a plant in three days? Or should i be worried about something else?
« Last Edit: June 06, 2005, 15:51:10 by MarthaMad »

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Death of My Strawberries
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 16:31:41 »
Lack of water?

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 19:16:40 »
No idea Martha  ???  It is so very sad to see the fruit of your hard labour disappear in seconds.   
In my case, it's broad beans - They are doing wonderfully and have now grown flowers which, I presume will reap the beans themselves.
Yesterday, I spotted some horrid slimy stains all over my rudbeckias and something had devoured lots of their leaves.  Against my principles, I sprinkled some slug pellets and guess what, there were 8 of the b**ggers dead or dying in the planter.  Tonight, I looked at the beans and the telltale signs were there.  I rummages around the pot and have founr 2 enormous ones which I plucked out and sent to the bin!
More slug pellets around the pot but of course I cannot put any IN the pot.  I hate the things !!! >:(
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 15:51:32 »
2 of my T&M straws seem to have died - there were leaves but now there is nuffink. The othre 4 plants are healthy, snails/slugs haven't been at those, so I dunno. Maybe they didn't recover from the flight from the Channel islands and being posted through the letterbox...
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

MarthaMad

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2005, 12:27:51 »
I think that it might me a water issue... I was relying on mother nature to do that job, so i neglected.

When i found the 'dead plants' i watered then applied a organig bug killer... The dead ones did not respond, but the others are looking very happy now!

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal