Author Topic: What's wrong with my beans??  (Read 2677 times)

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
What's wrong with my beans??
« on: June 06, 2005, 19:52:13 »
Hi all,

I planted some beans 2 weeks ago, and they seem to have gone very weak and pale in colour.

They are fed with growmore every 2 weeks and watered every other day.

Can anybody suggest what is wrong with them? ???

Any solutions are also welcome

Kepouros

• Hectare
Re: What's wrong with my beans??
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2005, 22:19:05 »
You don`t say whether they are runner beans or french beans.  If they are french beans (which are a bit more tender than runners) it might simply be that you planted them out before they were properly hardened off.

However, if you have been watering them every other day since you planted them, as well as feeding them, I suspect that the roots are probably waterlogged and this, plus the  unnecessary fertilizer is preventing the roots functioning properly.  Stop watering and let the soil dry out a bit, and stop feeding.  Neither runners nor french beans should need feeding until flowering stage or unless you find chocolate spot, when (in either case) a dose of high potash tomato fertilizer can be given.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2005, 23:46:39 »
Are you using liquid Growmore or granular?

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:15:19 »
Hello Kepouros

I have never heard of waterlogging the roots before.  All the books say to water in until established. ???

As it is going to be really warm over the next few days, will letting the soil dry out be OK? ???

Also, why stop feeding the plants ??? I thought that feeding the plants was beneficial ??? ???

Merry Tiller, the growmore that I use is the granular feed.

Sorry for all the questions, but as you can tell I'm a little "green" on this subject.

Thanks for your help

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 19:44:09 »
All I did with mine was dig in some compost and leaf mould and then plant the plants in their paper pots.  I have not watered ror fertilized in anyway - my beans are where they are to fertilise my cabbage bed for next year.  They were doing fine when I last saw them a couple of days ago.  I am going up later so will check them and give feedback on how my 'neglected' beans are fairing.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

undercarriage plan

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 20:01:45 »
I always find that when my runners first pop up, they look quite yellow and sad, but they always pick up and romp away. Last year I ended up selling them at the door!!!! I'd keep an eye, and wait, too much attention can have the opposite effect on my lottie!!  Lottie  ??? ;D

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 20:04:23 »
8 out of 10 of mine got eaten by hippo sized slugs  :'(  :'(  :'(
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

giantseye

• Half Acre
  • I love my lottie
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 21:47:45 »
I think the concensus is that I have paid too much attention to my beans, by over-watering.

At least I've learnt something for next year ::)  I dare say there will be alot more things to remember before the end of the season. ;D

All your help has been appreciated.

many thanks ;D :D

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2005, 22:53:12 »
Just to let you know, after sitting there for about 5 days getting used to being where they are, mine have now started putting a spurt on and have now about doubled their above ground size (I buried up to seed leaf level).
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2005, 23:00:17 »
I believe overwatering is a bigger killer than underwatering.  At least if something has wilted, a drink can revive it.  Once roots are damaged by overwatering, there is little you can do.

Kepouros

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2005, 23:06:29 »
Giantseye, when you are planting out anything the ideal is to water the bed and the plants the night before. Then when you actually plant you are putting a damp rootball into damp soil, and usually that is all that is necessary to get the plant off to a good start. You shouldn`t need to water again until the soil starts to dry out.  Only if you are planting in dry soil do you need to water them in - but you are better not doing that anyway.  There are far more plants damaged by overwatering than by underwatering. The time when water is needed in quantity is when the bean flowers are setting and the pods growing.

If you wish to use Growmore for new plantings, then use it (in granular form) several days before you plant out and make sure that it is well raked and watered in so that it is dissolved in the soil before you plant or you will risk burning the roots.  You should not need to use any more fertilizer until after the plant has settled and the roots started to grow out of the rootball.

Beans do not need fertilizers except for potash in the circumstances I mentioned earlier.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal