Author Topic: Opinions on cats  (Read 19357 times)

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
  • You can grow anywhere!!!
Re: Opinions on cats
« Reply #80 on: June 28, 2005, 12:54:41 »
I like cats and had a wonderful little moggy right the way through my childhood... The whole time we had him may parents never once had any cat poo in the beds as a cat will never enter another cats territory. Oh and a cat also never soils his own patch, i.e. one clean poo-free garden...

Now my wife and I don't have any pets whereas pretty much every neighbour has a cat... :-\ For ages I tried to fight the battle putting all manner of repelent out for them, nothing worked and so now I have got metal cages over ever one of my beds............. It's like bleeting fort Knocks in my back garden...  >:(
You can grow anywhere!!!

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #81 on: June 28, 2005, 13:26:30 »
Got to go with the cat lovers on this one - probably because I had a cat for 17 years who always used his litter tray and savagely defended our garden from any neighbouring cats who decided to pay a visit so we never had a problems with little parcels in the flower beds etc.

Now have two german shepherds - has to be the best cat deterrant ever  :). both dogs like cats but I've never yet seen one venture into the garden to test just how much they like them :)

On a more serious note - so sorry to hear your bad experience GArdenantics, thats got to be a lesson for pet owners to be responsible and get their pets wormed, collect doggy-doos from parks, paths etc

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #82 on: June 28, 2005, 19:09:50 »
Thanks Clairenpaul,

I would propose that all pet food be pre-treated with wormer, and taxed at 50% so that pet owners pay into a fund that can be used to compensate people such as myself who never owned a cat or dog, but suffered the loss of sight in one eye as a result of others wanting 'pets'. I saw a scale of compensation pay-outs for industrial injury about 20 years ago when my father in law lost the end of his thumb, Thumb tip value £3000. Loss of one eye £30,000, so I think with inflation I am owed £100,000, Put your money where your mouth is Pet-Lovers, all major credit cards accepted, but would prefer cash.

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2005, 01:22:55 »
Still waiting for the cash to come rolling in!

Brian

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2005, 01:45:14 »
Oh and a cat also never soils his own patch

Wrong I'm afraid, we have 3 cats and they regularly poo in our garden, it's no problem though as our dog eats it

taxed at 50% so that pet owners pay into a fund that can be used to compensate people such as myself who never owned a cat or dog

Is it only me who is sick of this Amercan style "blame culture"? Accidents happen, tough

Derek

• Acre
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2005, 06:48:12 »
I am afraid I am going to get cynical.....

Cats are fine...there are just too darn many of them.

A friend of my wife has eighteen....EIGHTEEN!...if she had to take 'em for a walk twice a day would she still have eighteen?......doubt it.

May I suggest the main reason for the popularity of cats is that, in the main, they take care of themselves...

Derek
Derek... South Leicestershire

I am in my own little world, ...it's OK, ...they know me there!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2005, 07:28:04 »
Dear Merry Tiller,

So It's just tough on me that I'm blind in one eye, thanks.
"Accidents happen". Is it an accident that some of the posts suggest that cat owners think more of cats that human beings! Next time you are dishing out a nice big plate of food for your cat, think of how greatful an African child would be for that same food, and I mean that very same tin of cat food.

Brian

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2005, 07:39:08 »
Don't preach to me.

Some of the "people" I've met make a piranha fish look preferable, as to sending tins of catfood to Africa, grow up.
As far as I'm aware this is still a free-ish country and I make no apology for being a pet owner, you obviously blame every cat and it's owner for your disability, I suppose you blame every car driver for any road death.
I'm not surprised at your anger, just don't direct it at someone you know nothing about

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2005, 07:45:56 »
Stop it, you two, we'll have a flame war breaking out at this rate.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #89 on: June 29, 2005, 07:51:14 »
 ::) Time to lock the catflap methinks ::)

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #90 on: June 29, 2005, 07:58:27 »
After the sermon, It's the psycho-analysis. I'll book a therepy session right now, thanks for putting it in perspective for me.
"I will stop hating cats", "I will stop hating cats", "I will stop hating cats"..................................................................
Brian

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #91 on: June 29, 2005, 08:07:35 »
Just finished 12 hour night shift, a bit ratty in the morning as my missus puts it :-[

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #92 on: June 29, 2005, 09:36:36 »
horrible things them 12 hour night shifts, when i get in from one the whole family keep well out of my way  :).

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
« Reply #93 on: June 29, 2005, 10:37:35 »
This debate has been a little heated while I've been away... :o

I personally feel that there are too many cats these days. Still, I would never suggest that people shouldn't have a pet knowing how much joy and friendship they can offer.

However, I do feel that people should be limited to say one or two large pets (cat/dog) per home if they live in a heavily built up residental area. My only reason for suggesting this is that the animals habbits do have a direct impact on other peoples lives.

The lady across the way has three dogs which try and 'out-bark' each other until 11pm at night when the owner finally gets them in. There are also at least 6 cats within my culdisac that constantly fight all night and that had poo'ed all over my garden until I put chicken wire over every bed to fend them off... Now, as a person that doesn't own a pet I do feel a little put-out that my family and I have to suffer the noise and poo from other peoples pets...

Once I watched my neighbours cat poo in one of my beds, I then went outside and picked the poo up and droped it over the fence into my neighbours garden. Well, she came flying out of the kitchen asking me what on earth I was doing... I simply said that I was putting her cats poo in her garden.... She was not ammused but what could she say, after all I was calm a ever so polite.  ;)

« Last Edit: June 29, 2005, 10:45:34 by Jedi of Veg »
You can grow anywhere!!!

fbgrifter

• Acre
  • All change
« Reply #94 on: June 29, 2005, 10:51:28 »
i used to absolutely love cats, i mean totally adore them...until i lived next door to 2.  as my husband says, would my neighbours like it if he pulled down his pants and sh*t on their doorstep?  and lets not forget the array of dead animals left lying around.  i think what cat owners don't realise is that when they have a cat, the whole street has a cat, whether they want one or not!
It'll be better next year

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
« Reply #95 on: June 29, 2005, 10:56:35 »
I call for all Cat owners to HAVE to have an indoor/outdoor litter tray for their cats and that they must train them to use it before allowing them outside for exercise... The owners will soon get sick of the rechid smell of cat poo and wee....  ;D
You can grow anywhere!!!

growmore

• Hectare
  • Practice Beats Theory. Don Valley South Yorks
« Reply #96 on: June 29, 2005, 11:23:20 »
Methinks we are getting rather personal and presumtive.You either like cats or You hate em...
Personally I dislike them but I dislike Magpies and wood pigeons too...
I think Roy is right"Time to shut the catflap " on this one...
Lets not let slanging matches spoil a great bulletin board..Cheers Jim

Cheers .. Jim

City Gardener...

• Not So New ...
« Reply #97 on: June 29, 2005, 11:29:45 »
I was joking Jim but you're right that these types of debate can go nowhere...  ;)
You can grow anywhere!!!

Gardenantics

• Acre
    • Garden Antics
« Reply #98 on: June 29, 2005, 18:30:31 »
...............................I will stamp on hated cats, I will stamp on hated cats. No sorry it didn't work! I will just have to live with the fact that I hate cats.
Brian

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #99 on: June 29, 2005, 19:04:24 »
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, however stupid it is ;D

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal