Author Topic: Pruning Weigela  (Read 2803 times)

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
Pruning Weigela
« on: June 07, 2005, 20:56:59 »
I have a Weigela "Follis Puurpuresis" shrub that has just finished flowering. Dr. Hessayon's"Flowering Shrub Expert" says to "cut back shoots which bear faded blooms immediately after flowering". How much do I cut them back ? 1/4,1/3, 1/2, 3/4 or all of the way back to the next branch ?

Can anyone help me out ?

I am not going to touch the ones that havn't bloomed this year.

Many thanks

undercarriage plan

Re: Pruning Weigela
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 22:10:59 »
I'd reduce the flowering branches to about a third What ever you do, don't worry.  It wants to grow.  Sounds a happy plant!  Lottie  ;D ;D ;D

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 08:29:46 »
It's a good idea to cut the occasional oldest shoot down to just above ground level as this helps new shoots grow from the base & you gradually renew thw shrub over the years. Hope thats of some help.

beejay

• Acre
  • SW London
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 13:16:50 »
I also should have said that after pruning give it a feed & a good water to encourage new growth.

Marianne

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 15:13:00 »
HI

Last spring, I inadvertantly pruned back a large amount of my newly established weigela.  This year, what was left of the plant produced an enormous amount of beautiful flowers but what I had pruned back did not grow back !  It has now started to grow but it is a very slow process.  So with hindsight, maybe I should not have pruned it so drastically  ::) :o

Prune it, but be gentle with it.  ;)
Enjoy today to the full.  You are not sure of a tomorrow.
http://www.sittingdogs.co.uk

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 20:51:21 »
Thanks for everyone's help ... I feel confident enough to tackle it now ...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal