Author Topic: Damping off!!  (Read 1882 times)

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
Damping off!!
« on: March 30, 2005, 21:54:47 »
My tumbler toms have all fallen over with damping off!!

Does anyone know if tumbler is more susceptible?  My marmande and bigboy are fine, as are my peppers.

But the tumbler!!! :'(

Should've used the cheshunt

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

wardy

• Hectare
Re: Damping off!!
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 22:33:43 »
I left my Cheshunt compound at my other house and am regretting it!  I shall have to treat myself to another tin (oh isn't gardening just so indulgent)   I think using Vermiculite helps prevent damping off.  Also I use Seaweed SM3 in diluted form and dip the roots into it when transplanting
I came, I saw, I composted

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2005, 12:42:40 »
Loz,

I have never tumbler to Damping Off, been growing it a few years now. I am also lucky that I rarely if ever get a problem with damping off in anything. This year I have lost one aubergine and that is it. I do not use any chemicals to help.

Simply sow thinly or in individual pots, use a free draining compost, if you use multi purpose add some grit or washed sand and perlite.

Use vermiculite to cover seeds if you think they are at risk and make sure you have plenty of ventilation and air movement.

As I heat with an electric fan I get good air movement but I also open windows on sunny days and indeed move pots and trays outside to a cold frame or a sunny spot on the patio for the day if the forecast is good.

HTH

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2005, 17:31:01 »
Thank all

I think the vermiculite helped, I tried it with later sowings and they were fine).  So my toms are mow in the greenhouse

but!

One now has what looks like botrytis at the base and has fallen over, I wonder if this was one of the originals that surviced the damping off, but in a weakened state, and has now succumbed

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal