Author Topic: Greenhouse Toms + Grape Vines  (Read 3043 times)

Rox

• Half Acre
Greenhouse Toms + Grape Vines
« on: May 31, 2005, 10:41:27 »
Hi everyone! I only have a mini plastic greenhouse at home, but my OH's work has a large proper greenhouse where the owner has kindly offered to let us put our tom plants as we have neither greenhouse nor remaining space at home! Thing is, there are grape vines growing in the greenhouse - I imagine come summer this might be helpful in providing a natural "shading" so the toms don't scorch and overheat, but I'm wondering whether anyone else has experience with this type of set up as this is my first year growing greenhouse toms, and I don't want it to go badly. (i.e., I'm thinking of enough light, sun etc  to grow them successfully in these conditions). In case it's relevant, there are 2 varieties in question:both are bush/determinate and early cropping - Sub-Artic Plenty and Red Alert. I am keeping my dwarf toms at home for security!  :D

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Greenhouse Toms + Grape Vines
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2005, 18:02:25 »
I would imagine they would do just fine!  I have used squashes and runner beans in the past to provide 'natural' shading for my greenhouse and they have worked very well.  I guess the only risk would be the pests...don't know much about grapes and the pests they suffer from.  What we need is a grape growing expert!  Anyone?

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 09:34:45 »
thx EJ  :D - have planted them in the GH now, so fingers crossed! I'm reassured by your own experiences with the runners and courgettes, so decided to give it a go. will let you know how I got on. ;)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2005, 13:07:12 »
rox, we moved to new home last year and its got a vine house with mature vine, so i done as much research as i could and found out in Guernsey when they first started grapes years ago, after a few years they incorporated growing toms in soil space and was a leading supplier, so if they can do so can we!! i've got toms and peppers and cucs in my vine house, doing ok so far.

Rox

• Half Acre
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2005, 13:24:06 »
wow! thx Littlegem - that's incredibly reassuring!!  :D  toms were a little down after planting but seem to be picking up again. Shall we report back at the end of the season and compare results?  ;)

littlegem

• Acre
  • baby Evan
    • Littlegem's page
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2005, 13:32:20 »
Can do, but i'm sure yours will be better than mine due to the fact that the vine house is on its last legs with some glass missing from the roof (some of viine suffered with frost) think we're gonna take it down next year, too expensive to repair and its smack bang in the middle of the top half of garden, taking up valuable plot space!!!

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal