Author Topic: Just harvested Muscari seeds - sow now?  (Read 5568 times)

potato head

• Not So New ...
Just harvested Muscari seeds - sow now?
« on: July 02, 2005, 15:30:21 »
Hi

Subject line says it all really!  I've just collected some grape hyacinth seeds and wonder when to sow them?

Also, will the bulbs produce next year, or will they be spent now that they have set seed?

Many thanks in advance for any advice

Lizzie

Deeds

• Half Acre
Re: Just harvested Muscari seeds - sow now?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2005, 16:43:31 »
It depends which Muscari you are growing as to if they will flower again, but most of them will.

I would sow the seeds now, I'm a great believer in sowing seeds when nature does, they may not germinate until around the time the parent bulb start growing, but getting them in the soil/compost as soon as they are ripe aleays results in a better germination for me.

Palustris

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2005, 19:42:20 »
Sow now, and then put somewhere safe from weeds, animals, pests and feet. They need a period of cold to assist germination, so nothing to see till Spring. If they germinate, then do not prick out individually, rather pot the whole lot into a deeper pot and feed well for the first growing year. Then the next year you could plant them individually. Depending on the type they take between 3 and 5 years to reach flowering size( though you can get them to it faster by heavy feeding)
Your bulbs should flower again next year no trouble and usually have clumped up well too.
Gardening is the great leveller.

potato head

• Not So New ...
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2005, 18:23:05 »
Thanks oh wise ones, off to sow them now!

Lizzie

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal