Author Topic: Optimum size of veg plot?  (Read 1313 times)

jane

Optimum size of veg plot?
« on: June 09, 2005, 20:56:45 »
Next month I am moving to a house in SW France which has a garden of just over an acre. I would like to know how much land I should use for growing veg and fruit. I am a very keen gardener and will be growing flowers as well. I hope to grow loads of salads, tomatoes, and peppers together with sweet corn, courgettes, root crops, brassicas, beans and peas. I will probably only grow early potatoes. Would a standard size allotment of approx 20m x 9m be sufficient or should I allow more space?

Jane

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
Re: Optimum size of veg plot?
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2005, 22:35:22 »
ooh, get her!  :)

Lucky you - sorry cannot help you with the rest.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

flowerlady

• Hectare
  • "Tug-o-Weeed!"
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2005, 23:16:20 »
Would it not depend on the number in your family / size of their appetites / amount of help to be given! 

Then if you have a freezer / like making preserves / jam / chutney!

More to the point it is YOUR enjoyment, how much or how little you grow is then surely relative?

Just go for it and have a blast.   There are always the local produce markets to take the surplus to!

Enjoy.

p.s. don't forget the chooks!

To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under heaven: a time to be born and time to die: a time to plant, and a time to pluck up what is planted.     Ecclesiastes, 3:1-2

Sprout

• Acre
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 10:19:14 »
My advice would be to start small and build up as you decide which crops to grow and whether you need more or less of anything. That's what I'm doing with my allotment.
Mansfield Woodhouse, Nottinghamshire

ALAN HOWELL

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 10:48:53 »
Hi Jane.....my allotment is 20m x 6m and I grow 34 veg varieties,I must point out that there is only my wife and I to cater for,although we do get a fair amount of surplus from some crops,runner/french beans,beetroot,parsnips,courgettes.......Alan
I GOT A LOTTA LOTTIE

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal