Author Topic: Pond in a Pot  (Read 2106 times)

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
Pond in a Pot
« on: June 01, 2005, 23:16:10 »
I was desperate for a pond but don't really have a big enough garden for one so I decided to make one in a pot. I bought a very large plastic planter for £2.99 the other day. I have now got in it a dwarf spearwort (raised up on some engineering bricks), a water violet as my oxygenator, a small water lily and a floating water hyacinth. We will wait and see what happens.

Anthony

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments 4 All
Re: Pond in a Pot
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 21:18:28 »
Welcome to the board Jane,

Pond in a Pot sounds like a great idea.  As is the case with most things that we do in the garden it seems that waiting is the thing we spend most time doing.  Just make sure you have a few bottles of wine to hand and a a few good books and before you know it you'll see the fruits of your labour.  Just make sure you send some piccies when it's in all its glory.

How big is the pot?  Is it likely to dry out?

tony

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2005, 08:07:27 »
 :) Hi Jane, I have a pond in a pot  :) & every year it is full of taddies  :) I just have a lilly for shade & oxgenating weed to keep the water sweet  :) I also have  bog garden next to it that was another large pot that I drilled 1 hole in the bottom for drainage & it is filled with yellow iris, just about to flower, astillbe & some kind of small reed (forgotten name)  :) it is quite succesful I think :) I was told that if you want a wild pond DO NOT put any goldfish in!!  :) good luck with it  :)
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2005, 10:14:20 »
All sounds very exciting  :)  I love ponds but have only ever made one which was in a teeny weeny garden but still it attracted toads which is why I did it so they'd eat the slugs.  I'm just about to start making one on the lotty and was going to use a big cistern but the guy who gave it me now has some butyl for me so I might use that instead as I want to make a ledge and a shallow bit too.  Can't wait to get it started.  Will post in due course  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2005, 16:52:35 »
I'm just about to start making one on the lotty and was going to use a big cistern but the guy who gave it me now has some butyl for me so I might use that instead as I want to make a ledge and a shallow bit too.  Can't wait to get it started.  Will post in due course  :)

Remember to check your tenancy agreement and then disregard it.  ;D
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

Jane the Novice

• Half Acre
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2005, 23:21:15 »
Hi All. Thankyou for all your encouraging words. The pot in question is about 18" across the top and about 24" deep and is narrower at the bottom. I have no intention of putting any fish in it and hadn't envisaged any other wildlife taking up residence. However, should the local amphibian community decide to make it their "des res" you won't hear me complaining about it and there is a way in and out via the stack of engineering bricks put there to make a shelf for my marginal plant. The lily is still very tiny and I don't expect it to do much this year. Will keep you posted on any progress.

Jane

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal