Author Topic: End of Asparagus Season  (Read 1404 times)

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
End of Asparagus Season
« on: June 05, 2005, 17:22:34 »
First year with my allotment and very fat and contented on lots of asparagus from an inherited bed.   However, all the literature I've seen says mid to end of June is the end of the season.  Is there a way to tell when to stop cropping from shoot size or something or is it just guess work?   Also when finishing cropping is there anything that needs done to the bed (other than weeding - groan...) such as fertilising again?

Thanks for your help!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
Re: End of Asparagus Season
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2005, 17:32:09 »
Greetings - it's normal to finish mid-June, however strong the temptation! Until
then, let any spindly shoots go off to fern.

Cut down to 2" & mulch well. Save the fert for the Spring.

Icyberjunkie

• Hectare
  • Doh..I got a slug farm,a flea beetle heaven..doh!
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2005, 18:04:44 »
Thanks for that Tim.  I've been picking and eating the spindly ones raw while weeding so will start leaving them!
Neil (The Young Ones) once said "You plant the seed, the seed grows, you harvest the seed....You plant the seed....."   if only it was that simple!!!

Doris_Pinks

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2005, 18:08:17 »
Ekkk end of season, we haven't eaten nearly enough, off to the local farm tomorrow!  :o
We don't inherit the earth, we only borrow it from our children.
Blog: http://www.nonsuchgardening.blogspot.com/

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2005, 18:26:19 »
Icy - I didn't mean you must not eat the spindles - just that they can do more good for the plant than your stomach!! They are great, raw,  in salads.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal