Author Topic: Garlic  (Read 7756 times)

Yuet_Lee

• Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Garlic
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2005, 21:37:11 »
EJ
Well done. But why you peeled them all in once ???Are you going to use them in one meal ;D
yuet

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2005, 23:14:46 »
I didn't peel them as such Yuet.  The outer skin that wrapped around them all was very rotten and horrible, and as I washed it off, the cloves were revealed like that, all squeeky clean.  I have them in a bag in the fridge, with little holes in so they don't go mouldy.  I am going to buy some unsalted butter and make a few batches of garlic butter to freeze, and I might try freezing a handful as a test really. 

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #42 on: June 13, 2005, 08:00:48 »
If you can see through the 'steam', these are my 'fall back stock'

Marley Farley

• Acre
  • May all your plants grow well!!
« Reply #43 on: June 13, 2005, 08:42:18 »
 ;D Not really sure if this is the right place for this but in the past when we have had a surplus of fresh garlic we have done thisĀ  :) Pickled Garlic. Clean sterile jars. Fill jars with peeled garlic cloves, then boil, 3 cups water, 3 cups distilled vinegar, 1/4 cup salt. Pour over the garlic & leave to cool. refridgerate when cold. they keep for months like thisĀ  ;D
"I consider every plant hardy until I have killed it myself".

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #44 on: June 13, 2005, 08:49:06 »
;D Not really sure if this is the right place for this but in the past when we have had a surplus of fresh garlic we have done this  :) Pickled Garlic. Clean sterile jars. Fill jars with peeled garlic cloves, then boil, 3 cups water, 3 cups distilled vinegar, 1/4 cup salt. Pour over the garlic & leave to cool. refridgerate when cold. they keep for months like this  ;D

I did sweet pickled garlic last year and had to ban the hubby from eating them like sweets.  I'm hoping all the garlic is bigger this year and easier to peel - though I confess to growing mostly serpentine (hardneck) varieties because they give fewer but larger cloves.
 I shall be pickling away merrily in a month or so...
my recipe's a bit different to MF's:
http://www.recipecottage.com/preserving/pickled-onions13.html
is the one I've used for a few years (though I tend to skip the spicing of the vinegar and buy Sarson's distilled pickling vinegar instead :) )

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal