Author Topic: Onions From Seed  (Read 1392 times)

Woolley Sean

Onions From Seed
« on: June 01, 2005, 22:51:20 »
Hello everyone.  As a total novice (this is my first year growing veges), I wonder if anyone can help.  I sowed Brunswick seed in first week of May, direct into drills.  As yet, I have no seedlings appearing and wondered what I might have done wrong? I covered the bed each night with plastic sheeting when the frosts came early-mid May.

Other possible issues
- I may have sown slightly too deeply (possibly 1-1.5'')
- the soil seems to have formed a slight crust and I wondered if this might be preventing the seedlings from breaking through.
- incorrect watering?? (I've watered every other day when there's been no rain) - weeds are starting to do just fine!
- impatience?

Incidentally, I did sow a few rows of cabbages (Primo II) from seed on the same day in the same border and they are doing quite well with healthy seedlings, but this may not be of any relevance??!

Hope you can help.

Sean

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
Re: Onions From Seed
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2005, 22:56:08 »
Hmmm, I don't tend to sow seeds directly into the plot because of my baking ground.  If a crust has formed over the drill, then this could well be preventing the seeds from breaking for freedom.  I know it is a common problem with carrots.  An inch deep is also rather a long way down.  I merely scratch the surface when sowing, even in trays and pots.  I think the general rule of thumb is plant the seed as deep as it is big...if you understand what I mean.... :-\  And maybe a little toooo generous on the water.  I have no access to mains water on site, so once the drill is watered, that is it, they receive only what mother nature provides, and my roots all do very well and come up all on their own.  Number one son sowed some spring onion seeds in a growbag and they took about 8 days to sprout.....I would say, maybe try again?  :-\

Woolley Sean

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2005, 23:09:34 »
Thanks EJ.  Think I will rake it over and give it another go then.  My carrots also haven't appeared yet, but having read other snippets on the forum I think I'll leave them be for a couple more weeks. 

On the plus side, lettuce, spuds and leeks all flourishing!! :)

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:39:41 »
Hi woolley - with ref to carrots I had the same problem - not coming through.  I then sowed them in drills and covered them over with multipurpose compost and hey presto - loads of little seedlings.  Have also done the same with carrots and beans.  If your soil tends to crust over I think it is the best way.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal