Author Topic: Do you hibernate?  (Read 3957 times)

aquilegia

• Hectare
  • hello!
Re: Do you hibernate?
« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 14:04:53 »
Wow EJ! that's amazing.

I haven't got a lottie, just the garden, but even so, still only usually get out there once or twice a week at most in the winter. Usually just for a look around.

This year I'm going to try growing some things later. I have my new cloches to use still! and am growing brassicas for the first time this year.

The rest of my veg patches will be sown with green manure. (mostly to bump up my compost supplies - I've already run out!)
gone to pot :D

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 16:39:14 »
I live in Worcester which is usually pretty mild too - haven't seen any snow at all this year and only had to scrape the car a couple of times.  I suppose it is nothing ventured nothing gained and I will have a go at doing some stuff this winter too.

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 13:52:35 »
OOOh you lucky things - wish we could head south!! :). Although we aren't really that far north we seem to get a lot of frost so that'll limit what we can do over winter. i have being stuck indoors - let me get my thermals and wellies on get outside and i'm happy  ;D. That doesn't sound very good does it -  i do wear more that just thermals and wellies :). Pauls very much a fairweather gardener but does give in if i nag him enough.
 I'm sure we'll be able to grow some stuff - will spend the afternoon checking it out as its pouring with rain  :(. shouldn't complain really cos everything on the lottie needs a good drink

Multiveg

• Hectare
  • Oops, been gone a while, but still allotmenting.
    • Forum
« Reply #23 on: June 01, 2005, 14:00:39 »
At least I have a shed down the plot! Makes a big difference whether to go down or not. Hopefully, will have had the leeks transplanted out soon so I can have leeks in winter, as well as sprouts, broccoli (though that might go in the garden), cauli, snips,....... got corrugated sheet cloches so should do something with those this autumn....
Allotment Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
Musings of a letter writer, stamp user and occasional Postcrosser - http://correspondencefan.blogspot.co.uk/

redimp

• Hectare
  • Colonia Domitiana Lindensium, Flavia Caesariensis
« Reply #24 on: June 01, 2005, 15:33:02 »
OOOh you lucky things - wish we could head south!! :). Although we aren't really that far north we seem to get a lot of frost so that'll limit what we can do over winter. i have being stuck indoors - let me get my thermals and wellies on get outside and i'm happy  ;D. That doesn't sound very good does it -  i do wear more that just thermals and wellies :). Pauls very much a fairweather gardener but does give in if i nag him enough.
 I'm sure we'll be able to grow some stuff - will spend the afternoon checking it out as its pouring with rain  :(. shouldn't complain really cos everything on the lottie needs a good drink

The number of frosts we get are because we are so far east and the wrong side of the pennines.  The rain comes mostly from the west and it rains heaviest as it rises to go over the spine of the country.  By the time they get to us they are often exhausted and thin.  We often get cloudless winter and spring nights - no insulation, thus frost.  It's a choice between dry, frosty winters and dry hot summers in the east (for the most), and mild wet winters and summers in the west (for the most). 

Hope that helps.
Lotty @ Lincoln (Lat:53.24, Long:-0.52, HASL:30m)

http://www.abicabeauty

kitty

• Hectare
  • its what i do.
    • my work yes-it really does count as a job.....
« Reply #25 on: June 01, 2005, 16:01:48 »
thank you,michael fishclanger. ;D
www.leagoldberg.com
...yes,its a real job...

cheddarpaul

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #26 on: June 01, 2005, 16:09:48 »
I dont mind being out in the cold n rain as long as I know what I am doing.... which at the moment is exactly true at the moment

Anyone got a good 'jobs' calendar for what to do each week/month?

Cheddar, Somerset

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #27 on: June 01, 2005, 16:25:34 »
Caroline Foley - The Allotment Handbook is quite good as it goes through month by month what you should be doing.  I think that some of our brilliant experts here should do us a weekly - 'this is what I am doing this week' thread because it is better than theory. 

How about it EJ? Tim? ;D

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: June 01, 2005, 16:38:17 »
The organic catalog has just started a calendar with jobs to do, which I may well put on my crimbo list.

Thing is it really needs to be 2 months to view so's I can see what needs doing this month and what I should have completed last month!

Best laid plans and all that

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal