Author Topic: Ok so I need some help with rice for pudding  (Read 4781 times)

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
Ok so I need some help with rice for pudding
« on: February 26, 2013, 23:41:49 »
Grhh... I live in a country where I can buy so many rices the mind boggles but nothing is marked pudding rice as it used to be in the UK.

So, does anyone know which rice is called pudding rice, does anyone have a packet that tells you in the small print.

I use many rices and have about seven  right now  some of them shortgraon stickies,but am trying to get a short cut rather than try them all. Years ago we could buy pudding rice here, marked as such but it seems to have gone.

I thought Arborio maybe would work or Sushi rice or Japanese sweet rice but i am just guessing,,any ideas would be very much appreciated.

My family are going through rice pudding withdrawal now the pudding rice has vanished.

XX Jeannine
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Digeroo

• Hectare
  • Cotswolds - Gravel - Alkaline
Re: Ok so I need some help with rice for pudding
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2013, 00:02:07 »
It is usual to use a short grain rice.  This makes a thicker smoother pudding.  So the Arborio would be the one from your list, though as a named variety it tends to be expensive.  There are cheaper short grained rices.

Having said that my grandmother always used a long grained rice which makes a much thinner mix: the milk does not thicken much and the grains stay separate which I prefer. 

darkbrowneggs

• Half Acre
    • Dark Brown Eggs
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2013, 00:52:05 »
I have used Arborio rice and it made quite a nice pud.  In fact I might just make some tomorrow  :happy7:
I love my traditional English Cuckoo Marans and their lovely big brown eggs

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2013, 01:07:06 »
Hi thanks Digeroo, the probelm is here I can buy probebly 20 differnt types of short grain rice..problems deciding XX Jeanninew
When God blesses you with a multitude of seeds double  the blessing by sharing your  seeds with other folks.

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2013, 07:53:07 »
Trying to find specific varieties of rice is a nightmare, and even when you do, I suspect they're often mislabelled.  You might find pudding rice labelled as "pearl rice".  Japanese rice is pretty close, too.  Basically, the rounder the grain, the better.

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2013, 10:26:12 »
It just needs to be short grain rice and variety doesn't really matter.   The fact that it is round will make it absorb the milk well and go a bit sticky but not lumpen.    Some Indian supermarkets sell "sweet rice" which is not sweet in itself, just used for Indian sweet dishes.

You're just going to have to buy a small pack of one that takes your fancy and try it.
Obxx - Vendée France

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2013, 12:00:20 »
I have tried sushi rice and Japanese sweet rice and they are not the same although they are both small sticky rices, it is getting very frustrating.

XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2013, 13:13:57 »
It's a shame that the one thing you cant get is soooo heavy and expensive to post :hmh:

Do you miss anything else from the UK?
 :icon_flower: :icon_flower:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2013, 17:35:50 »
Hi Caroline, yes a few things but the British Coener shop are pretty good at shipping the things I can't get here, not too expenisve if I buy a lot at a time but they don't have rice anyway and it would be carazy to ship it, something for visitirs to bring I guess. XX Jeannine

lottie lou

• Hectare
  • Birmingham
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2013, 18:08:14 »
I may be out around Mayish.  What are postage costs like out there?

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2013, 19:04:52 »
Off to Canada eh? Lucky ducky :toothy10:

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2013, 19:07:08 »
yes a few things

Pray tell, are you a love it or loathe it Marmite person. Myself, it's loathing :angry7:

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2013, 00:51:19 »
I love it and can get it here, Did yoiu hear it was banned in..I think Sweden.

LL. Wonderful for you to offer but the postage is murder in Canada compared to the UK and US

Where are you going to?

I am going to try tomorrow with 2 seperate lots in the oven, one with Arborio and 1 with Sushi rice again.

XX Jeannine

carolinej

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2013, 08:28:37 »
My mother lin law got a jar for christmas with gold streaks in it. Very posh!

Good luck with the pudding  :thumbsup:

daveyboi

• Hectare
  • Have fun enjoy your allotment
    • Daveyboi's Blog and personal website
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2013, 08:50:24 »
According to wikipedia ...

A specific type of rice is available and widely used for rice pudding called "Pudding Rice". Similar to Arborio rice, its grain is round and short, and when cooked produces a creamier consistency than savoury rice. However, short grained rice such as risotto rice can be used as a substitute.
Daveyboi
Near Haywards Heath Southern U.K.

Visit My Blog if you would like to

goodlife

• Hectare
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 09:10:28 »
I love it and can get it here, Did yoiu hear it was banned in..I think Sweden
That was Denmark..they don't allow any foods there that has some added vitamins in the foods..there was things like Horlicks that falled into same gategory.

Jeannine

• Hectare
  • Mapleridge BC Canada
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 20:11:10 »
Daveyboi, as I said at the start of my post I can no longer get any rice marked as pudding rice here anymore, that is my problem, the rice must be out there but isn;t called pudding rice, I am trying to find out which rice was used as pudding rice. Arborio does not make the same pudding I have tried several times, it is OK but not the same so pudding rice is definatly not arboria, nor is is sushi rice or Japanese sweet rice,

XX Jeannine

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal