Author Topic: argos 1/3 off water butts  (Read 9414 times)

cambourne7

• Hectare
  • Growing in the back garden having lost lotty
argos 1/3 off water butts
« on: March 12, 2012, 15:43:51 »
Just a quick note to say that argos have got 1/3 off some water butts

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
Re: argos 1/3 off water butts
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2012, 15:49:48 »
Just a quick note to say that argos have got 1/3 off some water butts

That sounds good for those who get some rain to fill them.  ;)

Pretty dry here in the south - hose-pipe ban in place all around us but, so far, not from our water supplier.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2012, 16:07:44 »
Were just waiting for the news as to when our hose pipe ban is in place in east anglia :)

schmelda

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2012, 17:43:31 »
Hose pipe ban from 5th April for us.  We don't actually use it very much at home so won't make that much difference.  The mountain bikes will just have to stay muddy! 

Only allowed to use them to refill water butts at the allotment, but that will manage to cope filling the watering can directly from the tap once my butts are empty.  Don't have any room to install any more  >:(

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2012, 20:05:45 »
Yep were 5th April as well luckly i have most of my soil covered in weed membrane and wood chips so i am hoping that will help with moisture retention in the height of summer. Normally i throw out the dish water into my watering cans and use that.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 00:18:35 »
Hose pipe ban from 5th April for us.  We don't actually use it very much at home so won't make that much difference.  The mountain bikes will just have to stay muddy! 

Only allowed to use them to refill water butts at the allotment, but that will manage to cope filling the watering can directly from the tap once my butts are empty.  Don't have any room to install any more  >:(

I think using a watering can is a good idea even when there's not a hosepipe ban. Water left standing in a barrel or water butt is warmer than water straight from the tap. I hardly ever water directly with a hose.  ;)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 20:08:57 »
Our ban starts on 5th April as well, and we're not allowed to use a hose to fill a water butt or dipping tank either!  :o And the back of my plot is 65m from the tap, which is a real pain with watering cans  :(

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 20:41:12 »
Cam, do you know if they come ready filled.  ;D ;)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

cambourne7

• Hectare
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 21:17:42 »
I very much doubt it :)
Although you could fill up at petrol station where you pay 20p for enough to fill up your car well they don't say where the water has to go :) hehe

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 18:57:15 »
Cheeky idea! Though I think after using the car to transport manure, maybe using it for water would push the OH over the edge  :o

I'm planning to just really mulch everything very well this summer, and dig in lots of manure and hope it all works out ok  :-\

Will get a water butt some time though, in case it ever rains!

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 23:22:22 »
Our ban starts on 5th April as well, and we're not allowed to use a hose to fill a water butt or dipping tank either!  :o And the back of my plot is 65m from the tap, which is a real pain with watering cans  :(

Hell's teeth that's going to make life difficult to say the least!

We are in a tiny area surrounded by hosepipe bans as our water comes from a different company to the west of us. So far no hosepipe ban for us but I wont be watering with a hosepipe - it's such a waste and lost sprinkles encourage the weeds to grow.  ::)

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2012, 11:11:35 »
Well I think you can water sensibly with a hose - if you don't have it up high, and apply the water to the base of each plant. I usually create little troughs of soil round plants like tomatoes, cucumbers etc and then fill that with water and it soaks in.

It's easier than walking backwards and forwards 65m with watering cans!  >:(

Oh well. I suppose these are difficult times water-wise so I shouldn't moan. It's grey today - come on and rain!!!!!

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2012, 18:05:47 »
I don't see a problem as watering cans were invented years ago, a bit of exercise never hurt anyone, we have dip tanks on our site so everyone has to water from a can, all ages and disability's.   ::)
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

PeterVV

• Half Acre
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 18:25:21 »
Not so much as a tap on our lotty, and I dont have any structures to catch the rain, so have to carry all my water in 25l containers  in the car... >:(

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 23:40:44 »
BBC news reported earlier today that some places in the south were almost sold out of water butts and suppliers were also running low on stock.  This is apparently due to everybody filling water butts prior to the pending hosepipe ban. We are in northern  England and tenancy rules for our site have never allowed to water allotments using hosepipes.  Watering cans only, and this is without a  ban.

Could you put a water butt or two at the back of your plot to collect rainwater when it rains in the future and fill the watering can from the tap to water the front 1/2.  I have 3 water butts at the back of my 110ft plot and 1 at the front.  Only 1 is required at the front as my permanent crops are in the front 2 beds.  (autumn / summer raspberries, strawberries, currant bushes)
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

pigeonseed

• Hectare
  • Hastings
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2012, 15:48:26 »
Yes I think that would be sensible long-term. It's sort of getting the money together and getting round to it all, but yes I've always wanted to get some water butts on there. I'd like to get the ones everyone says are free - old mango pickle barrels and so on, but haven't found anywhere to ask that didn't look at me like I was mad!  ;D

I don't see a problem as watering cans were invented years ago, a bit of exercise never hurt anyone, we have dip tanks on our site so everyone has to water from a can, all ages and disability's.   ::)
Well it's easy to say that, but that's not always very easy for people of all ages and disabilities - I know when I was pregnant and there was a hosepipe ban, I lost a lot of plants, I just could only water a few plants each visit, which was once a week. It might be ok if you're down there everyday, but if you work and only get there once a week, it's not easy to water that way.

So I'm okay with it, I'm currently fit and healthy and have resigned myself to lugging cans about, but I do feel for people less able than me.

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2012, 10:41:13 »
If water butts are too expensive and free ones are scarce maybe the local plumbers could offer old baths as an alternative.

I have two on my plot and the wider, more open nature of baths means the water warms quickly as well as it being quicker and easier to dip a can into.

jimtheworzel

• Hectare
  • PRESTON Gateway to the north
    • http://peterfell-petergarden.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2012, 13:25:13 »
On my allotment i have 9 water butts, all free ! and all full to the brim so i have over 300 galls of water to use. the council left a load of old wheely bins on the plots, so ring up your council and ask
« Last Edit: April 07, 2012, 13:26:55 by jimtheworzel »

Aden Roller

• Hectare
  • Sussex near the sea
« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2012, 02:23:54 »
On my allotment i have 9 water butts, all free ! and all full to the brim so i have over 300 galls of water to use. the council left a load of old wheely bins on the plots, so ring up your council and ask

That's a good tip for anyone interested. Thank you.  :)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal