Author Topic: Can you freeze Asparagus Peas?  (Read 5691 times)

Gadfium

• Acre
Can you freeze Asparagus Peas?
« on: February 16, 2005, 23:52:02 »
Hello,

A friend and I have combined forces and just taken on our very first allotment. Gulp: Overgrown; couch grass in a wayward frenzy; car loads of junk to the tip; the rain won't give-up, and a long way to go... but the potatoes are chitting (I'm learning a whole new vocabulary!), Joy Larkcom's book is well-thumbed, and the seed packets have arrived.

I really fancy the sound of the asparagus peas, and given that we can actually manage to persuade them to grow  :o I can't find any info about how/if you can freeze the little blighters. I understand that you don't get enormous yields, but I'd like to be able to keep some for the winter. Anyone know how?

Obelixx

• Hectare
  • Vendée, France
Re: Can you freeze Asparagus Peas?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 07:59:41 »
I grew these two years ago.  The yield and flavour were both very poor and the minute they got over 3cms long they were stringy too.  If you do decide to go ahead, I expect you could freeze them as they are or maybe blanch them and freeze them as you would for most legumes.
Obxx - Vendée France

terrace max

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 08:58:50 »
If your asparagus pea seeds have come in a packet: you can save time by not sowing the seeds and just eating the packet - the taste and texture will be just the same as eating asparagus peas!
I travelled to a mystical time zone
but I missed my bed
so I soon came home

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:20:16 »
TM,

I think you are being just a little unkind.

1. the plant is very pretty when flowering, velvety purple flowers

2. I am told that for a period of 15 minutes or so, when they are just ripe the peas taste quite acceptable - after that cardboard is the usual comparitor!

Phil

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 10:47:22 »
freezing is a virtual must ;)-they go tough very quickly and are not prolific. Take them very young and freeze until you have enough.

Or use the space to grow a decent pea.

Stephan

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 12:09:21 »
- but don't try to freeze 'snap peas'. Unless you don't want 'snap'!

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 12:14:21 »
hahahaha  ;D  You lot did make me laugh, but, I have to agree, very pretty little plants and mine were still in flower when I finally oiked them out about a month ago.  The flavour was similar to.....grass I guess, you know when you were a kid and you chewed it to look cool, or was that just me..... ::), well that is what they taste like.  If you do want to grow them, pick them when tiny and eat them quick, otherwise dig into your grass mowings!  ;D

loz

• Half Acre
  • See my stuff on www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk
    • Arthur's Place Cattery
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 13:42:14 »
I have to admit, tried them once, and while they look very pretty, unless you catch them early, they are a little like cardboard.

I wonder if freezing them may make them more tender?  I never really got enough of the small ones to make up  a meal, let alone have any to freeze.

Loz
Horses, ragdolls, bracco italiano, Polands,Silkies, and a garden - when do I have time to eat? - www.arthursplacecattery.co.uk

Apple Dumpling

• Half Acre
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 15:52:46 »
I've never tried them, but the pictures of them always look like something that's going to get stuck in your throat.  - And before you ask Yes, I do chew my food.
Who planted all these weeds?

Gadfium

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2005, 23:54:54 »
Thank-you for your replies...

It'll look nice, but not great guns in the taste department seems to sum up!  Ah well, we did want to have a go at something we'd never heard of: some you wins and some you don't.

Fortunately we also have a Mangetout Pea (Delicata) and a Climbing Pea (Serpette Guilloteau) to try, so hopefully one of those will be better.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal