Author Topic: Freezing runner beans  (Read 42766 times)

Pumper

• Half Acre
Freezing runner beans
« on: September 04, 2007, 09:28:05 »
This might sound a bit silly, but how do you freeze your runners?

I put all my excess straight in the freezer, and when I defrosted a few (cos I didn't have time to get up the lottie to pick some fresh ones), they were seriously stringy and 'orrible.

I know they were fresh and sweet and luvverly when they went in, cos I cooked some that very evening.

When I saw what they were like, I defrosted the lot, and they were all the same. The same thing has happened to my Dwarf Yellow French Beans as well. I'm going to be picking the next lot either today or tomorrow, so any timely advice would be gratefully received.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2007, 09:34:20 by Pumper »

debjay

• Half Acre
Re: Freezing runner beans
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2007, 10:52:54 »
hi  :)
try this page on how to freeze veggies
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/techniques/FreezeVegetables.htm
debs ;D

sarah

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2007, 12:17:37 »
i had the same problem with runners when i tried. i blanched some and froze some raw. some chopped; some whole. i dont know what we are doing wrong. i dont freeze runners now - i make in into chutney. i dont have the same problem with french beans though. dont know why.

Pumper

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2007, 16:34:40 »
hi  :)
try this page on how to freeze veggies
http://www.cookuk.co.uk/techniques/FreezeVegetables.htm
debs ;D

Sooooooo easy when you know how  ::)  I have heard pepes talking about blanching, but it meant zilch to me.

Ta muchly

Fork

• Hectare
  • Amber valley,Derbyshire
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2007, 16:39:29 »
All I do with mine is wash and trim them,being careful to remove any string,dry them on some kitchen towel and then freeze them

DO NOT defrost before cooking or they will go rubbery and horrible.Cook them from frozen.I cook mine in a pressure cooker and it takes 3 minutes.....they taste just as good as fresh.
You can pick your friends, and you can pick your nose, but you can't pick your friends nose

Esre

• Half Acre
    • Esre's Blog
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2007, 17:23:28 »
What Fork said, my Dad always cooks straight from frozen. You can tell the difference between fresh and frozen but they are still better than shop bought....just wish enough of mine had made it to try.
Whatever it was I didn't do it but if I should have done then I have!

Plot 24A
My Blog

Lauren S

• Hectare
  • Delightful Devon
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2007, 21:46:28 »
I wash the beans, top and tail them. If the beans are longish I use a veg peeler and run it down each side of the bean, removing the *Strings*. Cut the beans diagonally so they look like long diamonds (Hope that makes sense).
Blanch in boiling water for 2 mins. Place in cold water for 1 minute. When dry bag them in portion sizes that suit your needs.
I have a vacuum sealer that removes all the air then it heat seals the bag. Great gadget.

Good luck

Lauren  :)
:) Net It Or You Won't Get It  :)

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2007, 22:30:38 »
Lauren,
Agree with you all he way.
 :D
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2007, 23:27:58 »
I have never blanched runner beans, just snap them into short lengths, push them through a bean shredder and open freeze them. I usually do enough to last till next seasons crop starts picking. As there are only two of us, I weigh them into 6oz packs.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

Toadspawn

• Acre
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2007, 23:33:27 »
I gave up freezing kidney (runner) beans years ago. Blanched or not they were awful. I would rather eat them fresh. French beans and Borlotti beans however both freeze very well and taste good afterwards.
I never bother blanching anything. 

Melbourne12

• Global Moderator
  • Hectare
  • Harrow, Middx
    • Allotmenteering Blog
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2007, 14:50:58 »
I have to say that we are also in the "don't freeze" camp.  We use our runners fresh, and freeze the French beans in preference.

But if you have to freeze them, then string and slice them, wash in salted water, freeze, and, as others have said, cook from frozen.  But even then they're a bit sad compared with fresh.

telboy

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2007, 21:40:56 »
O.K. all,
So why don't you salt them down any more?
Eskimo Nel was a great Inuit.

Larkshall

• Hectare
  • Near Cambourne (Cambs.)
    • Ellis Rowell's Website
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2007, 23:43:20 »
O.K. all,
So why don't you salt them down any more?

Salt is very bad for your blood pressure, the less you have the better.

I detest french beans, awful flavour. I can only assume that those who don't like runners frozen are probably overcooking them, they only need about ten minutes, 15 at the outside.
Organiser, Mid Anglia Computer Users (Est. 1988)
Member of the Cambridge Cyclists Touring Club

barkingdog

• Acre
  • Norfolk
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2007, 07:13:20 »
Hi All,

Can I recommend a book called 'How to Freeze' by Carolyn Humphries. I've found it very useful. It can be bought from Amazon for a very reasonable price

http://www.amazon.co.uk/How-Freeze-Everything-Freezing-Managment/dp/0572027699/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/026-9874653-1658838?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1189145516&sr=8-1

barkingdog

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal