Produce > Recipes

banana curd - anyone have a recipe?

(1/4) > >>

gwynleg:
Not strictly off the allotment but our local market had v cheap bananas - have already made banana chutney but would like to try my hand at banana curd. I know it exists! I have eaten it and searching on the net makes reference to it but cant find a recipe in English (only French).
Heres hoping someone has a tried and tested recipe (or even a not tried and tested one!0
Thanks

wilko:
 :) I never heard of it  ??? sound s lovely, I love bananas

how do you make the chutney ?

gwynleg:
Hi Wilko - got this off the net - it was lovely when potting it up - not sure if it will improve over time (for the chilli to come through a bit). It goes a nice pink colour!

AFRICAN CHUTNEY RECIPE INGREDIENTS
30 bananas
3 cups brown vinegar
2 cups brown sugar
1 cup seedless raisins
2 red chilies
1 onion (medium)
2 tbsp ground ginger
1 tbsp salt
To make the BANANA CHUTNEY
Peel the onion and chop finely.
Remove the seeds from the chilies and chop finely.
Peel and slice the bananas, about ΒΌ inch (1/2cm) rounds.
Combine all the ingredients and simmer in a stainless steel or enamel saucepan for 2 hours, until the mixture reaches the desired consistency.
Bottle and seal whilst the Banana Chutney mixture is still hot.
Banana chutney has an unusual flavor and is a great accompaniment for light curries and bredies.
Also you can try it as a spread on buttered bread, The unusual flavor makes this a great taste treat

P.s. I used 10 bananas and reduced the rest of ingredients accordingly - made about 5 jamjars full.

Jeannine:
 Is this what you wanted?

Banana Curd

12 ounces of sugar
1 large lemon(you need the juice and the rind)
4 large ripe bananas, they need to be ripe but not black
4 large eggs
5 ounces  butter,not margarine

Mash the bananas very well.
Prepare the lemon.
Whisk the eggs

In a double pan melt the butter ,add the sugar ,prepared lemon and the bananas,bring to a  very gentle simmer,cook for about 10 minutes.

Add some of the banana mixture to the bowl containing the whisked eggs , quickly beat it, then return all to the pan.

Bring back to temperature,keep stirring, it will thicken after a while, do not let it boil.

When it is thick enough to coat the back of a spoon, ladle it into hot sterilised jars and seal.

Use it on toast or as you would lemon curd.

Another good recipe for using bananas is Banoffi Pie one of my favourites.

XX Jeannine

gwynleg:
Jeannine - thank you so much! I looked on delia-online for this recipe (didnt find it) and found a number of references to a Jeannine - is this also you?!
And banofee pie has to be made - I love it also!

Does the curd last a few weeks/months in the fridge or should I eat it quicker?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version