Author Topic: Fruit tree's on dwarf rootstock from Parker's  (Read 12769 times)

Kea

• Hectare
Fruit tree's on dwarf rootstock from Parker's
« on: January 23, 2007, 15:21:29 »
i was looking at the dwarf fruit trees in the J parker's catalogue and wondered if anyone has any experience with them? Are they productive enough and how tall do they grow? Particularly the cherries and damsons.

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
Re: Fruit tree's on dwarf rootstock from Parker's
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2007, 17:24:51 »
Make sure you read the small print with J Parkers

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2007, 18:15:48 »
A bit cryptic for me, which bit in particular?

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2007, 01:47:33 »
Just to say that the pictures don't always match what they are selling

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2007, 10:39:25 »
That would be like the offers in for instance GW magazine where they show you a lovely plant e.g. Rose bush....and in my experience a 2" stick arrives in the post.
That is pretty standard though for most plants I've bought by post which is why I don't do it much. Still not impressed by the rotten Rhubarb crowns I got from T&M last year, they gave the money back but the postage wasn't refunded so it was £4-99 for nothing.
That's why I was asking because some people have had good luck buying by mailorder.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2007, 10:57:46 »
Don't buy from Parker's unless you're prepared to be disappointed. Keep your receipts!
I've received dead plants from them (got a refund).  Also, I've received plants from them which turned out to be the wrong variety, but by the time they flowered I couldn't find the receipts anymore.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 11:00:35 by dandelion »

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2007, 11:06:15 »
I have also ordered stuff from Parkers in the past and been quite disappointed at what arrived. It was all alive, but small, not what I expected.

I now recycle their catalogues.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Deb P

• Hectare
  • Still digging it....
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2007, 11:13:37 »
Still not impressed by the rotten Rhubarb crowns I got from T&M last year, they gave the money back but the postage wasn't refunded so it was £4-99 for nothing.

Interesting, I had a similar experience with T&M rhubarb last year, got gift vouchers when I complained that the 'crowns' sent were the tiniest sideshoots imaginable and soft to boot (I managed to get one to grow on out of three) ::)
If it's not pouring with rain, I'm either in the garden or at the lottie! Probably still there in the rain as well TBH....🥴

http://www.littleoverlaneallotments.org.uk

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2007, 13:32:28 »
we've just bought small fruit trees from Victoriana nursery, arrived in very good condition, 5' tall, very quick delivery, full marks, have to wait to see about the fruit  ;D
« Last Edit: January 24, 2007, 14:06:13 by manicscousers »

Merry Tiller

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2007, 14:03:23 »
I have always been happy with fruit trees/bushes mail order from Buckingham Nursery

http://www.buckingham-nurseries.co.uk/acatalog/index.html

Kea

• Hectare
« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2007, 17:24:34 »
Thanks everyone. It's always worth asking everyone elses experiences. I have a local nursery to check out first anyway. I keep meaning to go there but other things have got in the way...and I have to remember to have cash/chequebook with me. I've gone all the way there and forgotten those items and gone to the nearby garden centre instead where the plants are too expensive.

organicartist

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2007, 18:55:43 »
I ordered some fruit trees from J Parker as a xmas prezzie for someone and was pleasantly surprised by the size & quality of the trees. I've also been looking at their dwarf cherries & figs, their blueberry collection was very good value too, good size, healthy plants. Will have a look at buckingham nurseries too though.

sea chelles

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2007, 21:16:37 »
i understand that deacons are a good supplier of fruit trees, i haven't used them my self but have good reports from friends, i know their on the isle of wight but they do deliver to mainland
http://www.deaconsnurseryfruits.co.uk/home/  ;D

timf

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2007, 09:46:15 »
I orders some items from Jon Munday at http://www.blackmoor.co.uk/index.php

items arrived in excellent condition and time and very reasonably priced also Jon sometimes posts on here and is very easy to talk to on the phone

cleo

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2007, 17:19:15 »
I`ve used Parkers-superb bulbs-sadly I cannot say the same for their other stuff

Amazin

• Hectare
  • N W London
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2007, 23:59:39 »
I'll second the recommendation for Buckingham Nurseries - good stuff, great service.

I bought a dwarf apple tree from Spaldings around ten years ago, if not more.

www.spaldingbulb.co.uk

Every year it's laden with up to 40 full size fruit and has reached the massive proportions of 3ft high by 4ft spread!

Mind you, you need to take the photos with a pinch of salt - if my plants flowered with such abundance I'd have rooms full of trophies!
Lesson for life:
1. Breathe in     2. Breathe out     3. Repeat

valmarg

• Hectare
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2007, 22:46:30 »
I think the best description of J Parkers' products is 'cheapo crappo'.  It is not a company I would do business with again - once bitten twice shy!!!

Larkspur

• Acre
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2007, 07:35:10 »
Hi, Homebase are doing a range of fruit trees for £9.99 at the moment. Bare rooted, of good quality and a reasonable range some with dwarf and semi dwarf root stocks. I bought a James Grieve and a Sunset  apple from them and am very pleased with them.

dandelion

• Hectare
    • An Vrombaut
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2007, 09:30:34 »
I think the best description of J Parkers' products is 'cheapo crappo'.  It is not a company I would do business with again - once bitten twice shy!!!

No wonder they have to do so much advertising. I must get at least 3 copies of each catalogue iwith gardenening magazines, newspapers etc. They constantly have to attract new customers as the old one won't buy from them again  ::).

Robert_Brenchley

• Hectare
    • My blog
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2007, 13:51:12 »
Check the roots well with Homebase fruit trees; I've had mixed results with them. Some have done well, some badly. The latter have weak root systems, and it may be nothing more than my own inexperience with this at the time of buying. It wouldn't stop my buying again, but it's something to look out for.

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal