Author Topic: Banana Skins in Compost.  (Read 8821 times)

cookie

• Half Acre
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Banana Skins in Compost.
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2006, 14:27:05 »
Banana skins contain a high level of potassium. When I did my RHS course, our tutor recommended putting banana skins in pots with tomato plants and also in the base of hanging baskets. Iwould say thatthey would be fine in compost.

supersprout

• Hectare
  • mulch mad!
« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2006, 14:31:06 »
fnaak! ;D
You haven't seen what the triffid brood get through during clementine season! Average is 4lb of sats/clems etc a day. That's a day.

lol@triffid brood

« Last Edit: October 26, 2006, 14:37:09 by supersprout »

teresa

• Hectare
  • Happy gardening
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2006, 22:50:01 »
Like cookie said, mum use to put bannana skins in the pots before putting the plants in, she said it drew the roots down, also good to hang on the tomato vines to hasten ripening.
This one I heard the other day? if you have a over ripe bannana make a hole in the skin and put a cutting in it should root no problem. how about that one.
Mine go in the compost bins as well.

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 18:24:05 »
Finally found some back-up research to explain why I was warned against putting citrus peel into my compost heap. So I thought I'd add it even though this thread is now dormant, in case anyone searches it in future  :)

This is from Bristol City Council's website -- a really handy 'what can I compost' section:

http://www.bristol-city.gov.uk/ccm/content/Environment-Planning/Rubbish-waste-and-recycling/composting---frequently-asked-questions.en;jsessionid=EF7559B952DCE3986E86052FE2572580

Citrus fruits can make your compost heap overly acidic so only add them in moderation or not at all. If you do add them, add plenty of other matter (such as grass clippings) at the same time to try to even up the balance a bit.

Also, many types of compost heap worms, such as tiger worms, don't like d-limonene, an antiseptic substance found in fresh citrus peel. The d-limonene disappears as the peel rots though so your worms will prefer it if you leave it out of the main compost heap until it's green and furry.

kt.

• Hectare
  • Teesside
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 18:31:29 »
Only just started with banana skins and citrus fruit skins this past few months. Dont think it will do any harm. Will see in the spring.
All you do and all you see is all your life will ever be

cornykev

• Hectare
  • Sunny Cheshunt just outside North London
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 19:06:00 »
;D Too much of any matter  in a compost is not perfect a good mixture is needed, other things not to go in a compost ? rhubarb leaves, potato plants?, 
brassica roots?
MAY THE CORN BE WITH YOU.

manicscousers

• Hectare
  • www.golborne-allotments.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 19:39:03 »
i was told to put the banana skins under rose trees, no idea why, either, also, pieces of overripe banana , if you don't make them into cakes, at the bottom of the plants, birds eat them, apparently   :D

triffid

• Hectare
  • Escaped... usually to my plot in NW London :)
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 19:49:29 »
other things not to go in a compost ? rhubarb leaves, potato plants?, 
brassica roots?

All things I've heard too, at one time or another.
The rhubarb-leaves one is an old wives' tale (they're toxic if eaten but absolutely harmless when composted,)
Potato plants are fine unless blighted - then you need a really hot heap to be sure of killing the blight spores so probably not a good risk to take.
Brassica roots are fine unless they've got clubroot. But because they can be so tough, it's a good idea to split them so they compost faster. 

Emagggie

• Hectare
  • Out to lunch.
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 20:04:13 »
Triffid that's a great link!! Thanks. Still chucking everything in regardless,but now in my bean trench. What with weeing on the compost heap and bananas and citrus in everything---how can I fail??????
Interesting experiment coming up re cuttings and banana skins re. Teresa's post. We eat so many here it's a shame not to use them.
Smile, it confuses people.

MattD

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 22:27:44 »
Citrus skins in your compost makes it smell really(ish) nice when you turn it.  Beats half composted cabbage smells anyway.javascript:replaceText(' :D', document.forms.postmodify.message);
Cheesy

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2006, 15:59:58 »
I put them in now, just different things I'd heard, the  brassica roots I put on the bonfire quickest way to break down and spread the ashes on the soil.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2006, 17:26:34 »
If yuo are worried about bunging your grapefruit skin halves onto the compost, then place them around the plants that sluggies most like....they congregate beneath letting you gather them up and dispose of them however you see fit.  Melon halves have a similar effect!  ;D

For me, if it was once growing, onto the heap it goes.  The only things that don't are 'perishables' like meat, dairy and (god forbid) processed foodstuffs.  Fish bones do go on the heap, but well mixed in with other stuff so they are buried.

cornykev

• Hectare
« Reply #32 on: November 30, 2006, 15:31:30 »
 ;D  I heard some where that they put slugs in the compost is this true, EJ dont the fish bones attract unwanted furry things with long tails?

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: November 30, 2006, 17:49:41 »
Kev, I had the furry things without the fish keeping warm in my garden compost heap.  It is on the allotment heaps where I bung them, and there are plenty of furry things around, and ratus ratus has never been a problem...possibly because of the foxes and the neighbours greyhound that rome the site!  ;D

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal