Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Non Edible Plants / Re: Narcissus
« Last post by jesssands on Today at 11:32:30 »
Thank you both for tips.
I will get them outside.
There's so many squeezing into a round pot its almost square!
Edible Plants / Re: Seed Saving Circle 2023
« Last post by galina on Yesterday at 17:20:07 »
Glad your seeds are doing their thing beautifully for you. 

The thing with tps is that in the first year they are not quite the finished product and you don't want to carry on with all of your new types. 

You can expect to get mini tubers, rather than full sized tubers.  But the tuber size does vary, usually between pea and large plum sized.   

Another consideration is yield.  You many have a plant with a single mini tuber and the next may have twenty.  A clear choice which variety to carry on with, all other things being equal.  There are also differences in plant size vs tuber production.  You can have a bonny, large plant with disappointing yield below and equally the opposite.    Blight resistance also varies, make notes to know which are the most resistant plants. 

And you also want to taste test them.  Occasionally you will find a tuber that tastes 'lemony'.  Discard all tubers from that plant and don't carry on with them.  Because that lemony tang means that there is too much of the substance in this particular strain, which makes potatoes very slightly poisonous.  I have forgotten the name. 

What I would stress is that you want to be able to choose between your new potato varieties.  They aren't all equal.  And it is much easier to tell them apart, if you plant them well separated, so you know at harvest time whether that one single mini tuber was all there was, or that the twenty tubers did indeed all come from the same plant. 

Red vs yellowish stems.  You may well have red and yellow or whitish potatoes resulting.  But no guarantees of that fact.  Just make notes which plant (I number my plants for convenience) had red stems.

By the way (and this is way early) when you come to taste your mini tubers, one of each plant, I find it easiest to sit them in in a circle in one of my steamer trays and the first to taste has a toothpick in it, then the others get tasted going clockwise.  Quick notes at the time, as they will all be different.  Steamed gives excellent results and you know which one was which because you start with the toothpick marked potato which is number 1.  Others do it a similar way, but instead of steaming they microwave their mini tubers.  I use the toothpick method, but you can equally put each potato in a small biscuit cutter and have several biscuit cutters in the steamer tray, each with a different variety potato inside. 

I am sure you know that in principle each plant from true seeds is a ready new variety.  Apart from producing full size tubers only in the second year, there is no further change in characteristics or flavour.  What you see is the ready new variety.  Growing from tps is a lot of fun and the new varieties will be virus free.  You will be able to propagate from them for a number of years to come.  With bought seed potatoes you will see deterioration due to virus much quicker. 
« Last post by juliev on Yesterday at 12:01:34 »
Hello everyone,
I just wanted to say a massive thank you for this wonderful seed circle. Everything is growing beautifully so far: chillies, peppers, tomatoes, TPS, lettuces, perennial leeks, peas (despite the voles and slugs... ahem). I can't wait to start sowing beans and squashes  :blob7:

Question about the TPS: they are in cells at the moment, I've thinned to the 2 strongest/cell. Some of them have purple/red on the stem and others don't. I'm curious to see what happens... Can I pot them on and then plant them together? I'm guessing that would reduce the plant vigour and tuber numbers/size but would give me more variety to select from. Any advice on the next steps welcome...
« Last post by Palustris on Yesterday at 09:21:27 »
We often buy Narcissus bulbs in pots when the stores sell them off after flowering. They do better planted out in the garden now and given a liquid feed. Don't cut off the leaves as they are needed to feed the bulbs for next time.
« Last post by saddad on Yesterday at 08:35:39 »
If they are really overcrowded, they don't mind being a bit "cosy", I would repot them in larger pot and plant the whole thing outside in the garden. You can dig it up early next year. If taking it in I would wash the soil off and pot up again to take indoors to avoid slug and creepy crawlies on the window sills!
Non Edible Plants / Narcissus
« Last post by jesssands on April 14, 2024, 23:39:42 »
Just a quick question please.
I have a pot that is bursting with narcissus bulbs.
They were kept in a hot old peoples home until they finished flowering.
I've got them at home now. Wondering, if to store them indoors until autumn for planting outside or plant them outside now?
Sorry for many years of absence on here. My life has been ridiculous!
The Basics / Re: Bewildered by nets
« Last post by Deb P on April 14, 2024, 16:45:10 »
I bought a roll of the green finely woven debris netting from Amazon, and cut it to fit over various sized beds and frames. I also use them as ‘curtains’ to drape around wigwams of beans, sweet peas and tomatoes as frost protection for a few weeks. Protecting crops from the very hot weather the other year was another use got them, plus greenhouse shading.
I’ve reused mine for about 10 years and fold  and store them at the end of the season. I mark them in all four corners in permanent marker with a letter indicating the size ( for example T for tomato drapes, B for beds, C for curtains ) so I don’t have to open them up to find the size I require. I still have some left on the roll!
« Last post by JanG on April 13, 2024, 07:31:26 »
They look amazingly healthy and perky after surviving -13. Great to know.

I’ve planted out both Rossia and Red Evolution from an early February sowing. Looking promising. Pictures later perhaps.
« Last post by galina on April 12, 2024, 18:39:36 »
A very happy PS to add.  Last winter wasn't quite as cold as the previous years, the coldest being -13C and not for many nights in succession either.  Seems that self seeded lettuces like similar to Flashy Troutback and similar to Flashy Butteroak can indeed survive these conditions. And similar to Flashy Troutback looks stunning right now!  They are beautifully winter hardy.  Outside in the garden.  I took the self seeded Rossia, planted it in the greenhouse over winter, and that has been feeding us for several weeks now already, as I hoped it would.  Just today I also discovered one tiny Red Evolution among the weeds.   I have taken photos of similar to Flashy Troutback and similar to Flashy Butteroak.  Thank you for these delightful seeds again Vetivert, which have just revealed a very useful additional feature, their hardiness.  Hope they will do equally well for the circle members. 
The Basics / Re: Bewildered by nets
« Last post by Tiny Clanger on April 12, 2024, 14:53:49 »
We use scaffolding net over most of the crops. We buy off ebay
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal