Author Topic: no show carrots  (Read 5546 times)

Justy

• Hectare
Re: no show carrots
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2005, 12:29:01 »
I like that idea - at what stage did you put them into the ground?  what did you cover them with?  My originals been in so long now I doubt they will come up although the Paris Market ones I planted in a trough at home are doing well so at least I will get some.

raisedbedted

• Hectare
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2005, 12:48:01 »
When they had grown small roots about 1/2" long I just washed them off the kitchen paper and dribbled them in to a row and covered v lightly with compost.

The plan had been to mix it with fung free wallpaper paste but couldnt find any, anyway it worked fine without them.

Have thought I might extend this to other seeds so I can have instant allotmenting!
Best laid plans and all that

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2005, 15:02:06 »
I have had problems with carrot growing in the past. I would sow directand nothing would happen. So last year i tried growing them in toilet roll inners before planting out tube and all. Whilst the cropw wasnt big and a few did fall victim to carrot fly, I did at least get to taste homegrown carrots for the first time :).

This year I am 'upping the ante' with them. I have already sown some in deep 'rose' type pots which i may or may not plant out depending on soil space. I also intend trying two direct sowing methods. The first is the 'compost in drill' method as described already. The other is sowing into pieces of drainpipe sunk in the ground and filled with compost. This will (hopefully) result in carrots in groups/stations rather than rows, but should work.

Germination is i agree still a problem even in compost rather than soil. My pot grown ones (early nantes) took ages to come up and when they did all came up around the edges of the pots in big clumps (which had to be thinned).

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2005, 17:25:50 »
6 rows!  6 flaming rows of carrots all lurking under fleece!  I can see green, but I think that is all weeds!!!!  What to do, what to do?!  Lift the fleece, weed, cry due to zero germination, replace fleece and keep fingers and toes crossed, or just leave fleece, weeds, and hopefully, carrot seedlings to fend for themselves until I want them?!?!?!?

Now it is warmer, I am going to sow more, it is just a case of finding the room!!!!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2005, 21:10:07 »
Aha - just seen Gardeners World and Monty just scattered his seed ( :o!) all over the place so will rake over and give it another go tomorrow.

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: May 06, 2005, 23:05:05 »
Justy   I sowed freebie Paris Market but now show as yet.  It's cold though so maybe if I can keep them moist they'll sprout when the sun comes out.  Ever the optimist Wardy  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2005, 07:43:04 »
are they from GYO Mag?  I did mine in a trough filled with multipurpose compost and they are doing really well.  Just the Rainbow mixed and nantes early at the lottie I am having probs with.

Going to try Montys suggestion today but cover the surface of my clay soil with a layer of compost first.

tim

• Hectare
  • Just like the old days!
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2005, 07:46:51 »
Justy - you've hit the nail on the head? See http://www.allotments4all.co.uk/yabbse/index.php/topic,9123.0.html

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2005, 08:46:32 »
Thanks Tim. I also have some spring onion seeds which I think I may mix in with the carrots deliberately and then scatter the whole lot over the bed - don't know if spring onions work as companion plants but don't suppose it can hurt.  My neighbours will probably think I am mad - the one gentleman has very regimented rows which are dead straight for the whole length of his lottie (probably100m!)  Hope I don't lower the tone with my carrot garden!

Incidently I presume I will have to thin the seedlings?  Only other problem I can see is weeding -  can't just hoe between the rows - oh well I quite like hand weeding...... ::)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2005, 09:29:57 by Justy »

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2005, 10:39:07 »

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2005, 19:32:05 »
Yes they were free Justy from GYO.  Anyway been back to plot and apparently they are up (according to the wise guy on the next alllotment)  I thought that was spring onion coming through  :)
I came, I saw, I composted

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2005, 00:07:27 »
I was intigued by Montys idea on GW. I've never been one for dead straight rows, but i do prefer sowing in drills rather than broadcast as you can tell wanted from weed seedlings.

Any how I plan to sow my carrots in between my young cabbages and salads. I am told they make good companions.

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2005, 01:25:40 »
I have yet to plant carrot or parsnip seeds so you are all way ahead of me.  In our part of the world the weather just doesn't seem good enough to chance it.  Not too worried as I only planted the seeds last year at the end of May, but I do feel very envious of you all seeing things coming up.   :-\ busy_lizzie
live your days not count your years

tim

• Hectare
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2005, 07:11:33 »
Don't ever assume that a row that hasn't germinated won't.

I re-sowed within a couple of inches of 2 rows which didn't show and - yes - we now have 4 rows!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2005, 09:25:07 »
spent a lovely couple of hours down at the lottie yesterday (don't get much chance usually) and still no sign of carrots.  I obviously sowed them too early.  As previously mentioned on other threads packets give very misleading information.  Garden centres don't help either when you go round and see acres of beautiful foliage.  I am going to try hard to be more patient.  Having said that planted out french beans and broccoli yesterday..... will go down later and see if they survived the night!

philcooper

• Hectare
    • Hampshire Potato Day
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2005, 18:13:35 »
Don't ever assume that a row that hasn't germinated won't.

I re-sowed within a couple of inches of 2 rows which didn't show and - yes - we now have 4 rows!!

Tim,

I've just used that horticultural version of Murphy's law. I've resown my maincrop carrots and parsnips in rows between the originals.

Just to rub salt into the wound, the next plot owner has just rolled back his fleece to reveal carrots and parsnip thicker than weeds - he covers his with peat based compost in the rows - I can take small comfort from the fact that he now ahs a lot of thinning out to do!!  :D

Phil

Moggle

• Hectare
  • My island home is waiting for me
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2005, 12:07:34 »
My carrots, sown about 3 weeks ago, are UP  ;D ;D Have given up on fleece and I will have to take my chances with the carrot fly  :-\ Weeds seemed to be doing too well under the fleece! The row that has germinated is next to rows and rows of onions any way, so hopefully that will help
Lottie-less until I can afford a house with it's own garden.

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2005, 22:58:13 »
None of mine up as of today, so 8 more rows of carrots sowed and 2 or 'snips.  Took everyones advice and this time covered the drills with compost rather than earth.  Looked very neat too!  Now they are all tucked up under fleece again, and I am not planning to look for at least 4 weeks.  Now, if sod, Murphy, and Tims law takes place, I am going to end up with 14 or 15 rows or carrots and at least 4 of 'snips!!

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2005, 08:13:57 »
btw how will i know when carrots are ready?  The paris market in trough at home are doing well.

sandersj89

• Hectare
  • Who me?
    • My Allotment Blog
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2005, 08:25:25 »
Gently scrap a bit of compost/soil away from the top of a carrot, if you can see the shoulder of the root and it looks wide enough to eat try pulling one to see how long/thick the root is.

One of the joys of pot grown carrots is how early they are and picking them as finger carrots to enjoy is great. No need to peel just scrub clean.

Some early Nantes planted back in feb should be ready in a couple of weeks I hope.

Jerry
Caravan Holidays in Devon, come stay with us:

http://crablakefarm.co.uk/

I am now running a Blogg Site of my new Allotment:

http://sandersj89allotment.blogspot.com/

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal