Author Topic: Vandalism on lotties  (Read 4927 times)

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
Re: Vandalism on lotties
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2005, 10:40:17 »
Had my lottie now for just over a month and a half and so far had 3 instances of vandalism.        Only minor stuff at the moment but just waiting to see what happens next.   My friend has got a greenhouse but we're going to give it a bit more time before it goes in.        On a final note, those who are doing the vandalism aren't aware but they are being watched....

Mark

clairenpaul

• Half Acre
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2005, 10:48:30 »
That's really sad - I don't think we'll ever understand how anyone could do anything like that. We also would love to keep chickens but cant have them at home (2 german shepherds - one who thinks he is a cat!!) and wouldn't dare risk it on the lottie.

When we got our plot we were told that vandalism is a bit of a problem and that we should leave our shed (when we get one) unlocked, and not leave anything valuable there. A couple of weeks ago though some kids got in (although the site is locked, they can get in through neighbouring gardens) and did quite a bit of damage including wrecking someones new £300 rotavator. since then we are having second thoughts about even putting a shed up but its a bit of a pain having to take all our tools everytime and there's always something we forget to take!

lancelotment

• Half Acre
  • Great North Swim, 1 mile open water, Windermere'08
« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2005, 13:26:53 »
It really does seem to be a nationwide problem.  My golden rule is that if I can't afford to loose it then I don't leave it down at the plot.  It does mean loading the car up each time though.  I do lock the shed but with such a pathetic lock that it springs open if you sneeze near it.  We haven't had any major problems for a while but I do know of a couple of guys who had their poly tunnels slashed over the last year or so.
Getting there - just rather slowly!!

derbex

• Hectare
  • I've come about the reaping
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2005, 13:42:28 »
We're in a village and our site had had no vandalism for many years. Until last year. Then quite a lot of sheds were pushed over, fences smashed and things broken. Nothing was taken, they just wanted to break things.

Which is a shame as the allotments are friemdly and there's lots of young kids about (including mine) during the day. Opinion seems to be divided about whether it's the village yoof or others exported from Chelmsford & Brentwood by ASBOs

Jeremy

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2005, 19:11:33 »
Its so annoying when it happens, especially the chick chicks and duck ducks :(

I think we should all put a sign up like:

If you break something of mine, I will break something of you...
So sue me! all I had of value, you just broke :'(

We should have the sign up next to the stocks and the hangman thing with man-trap at base incase they live through the hanging.

With giant compo bin in front of the stocks ;D

Seriously though, if you can get pics or even better video of vandalism then that would be good, get good zoomed in shots in local paper(name and shame)!

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2005, 19:18:19 »
If you break something of mine, I will break something of you...
So sue me! all I had of value, you just broke :'(

Here here Andy I'm with you on that.

Getting photos isn't easy, I know, we have a huge amount of vandalism where I work.  You get three or 4 of these youngsters and they're really scary

MM

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2005, 19:56:44 »
Jump out car from distance in darkest time they are there so they cant see you and snap! big flash and piccy as good as day, take 2nd shot quick as they look up and they are blinded :o
(and looking at camera)...
I know what you mean though, I approached 2 the other day and it was their mums plot :D
It seems the best approach, although not mine by nature and feeling, would be pleasant and try reasoning and indicate the hard work by lots of people.
Trouble is, I have seen that htrown back too..........

Still hard to bear when put so much effort into plot at this time of year.

I am worried about the pumpkin this year as last years national thing was sunflowers, this year it is  :o pumpkins :o

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2005, 18:52:16 »
Just for a laugh, I'm tempted to put up a sign with something like 'tresspassers will  be shot!'

Seriously, I feel there is no point to reporting the problems I've had  to the council, police etc because there is not a lot they can do.

Mark

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2005, 19:29:25 »
there was a prevous post last year about reporting it, if EVERYONE reports it at the plot then the police get so many calls they have to log it,ask for crime number etc.

shame it has to work in this way but it is the normal/usual world gone mad again.

Only way to do it though, it did stop it last time.........

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2005, 19:44:43 »
I like to comment about touch them and you end up in court.

So touch them ;) at least the police know who they are then when they try to sue ou.

So go one better, make a citizens arrest, you can use ANY force neccessary to carry out this act, the police wont comment much about this! but was something on the news last year...

I think you can hold them while you call the police and if they resist then any force required. Not sure about the age thing but you can always say the snotty nosed 3 years old weilding a machette and shotgun looked a lot older, like 18! due to the language he used and the weapons he weilded!!!

Make sure they are out numbered though...... :-X

I cannot emphasize anough about complain complain complain
again and again and again. keep reporting every incident to the police. Sad but true but you must get others to do it too.

We had 2 plots and all three of us all complained about both plots and other people on separate phone calls.

Dont be worried about what the police say if they make you feel guilty and wrong!

If so, then take it higher,to the top :o
I once dialed 999 to report a BIG DEAD dear on bend in middle of road, cars swerving and all that, didnt know local police number etc. Got call back saying I had committed offence by wrongly using three nines!!!! She never made that mistake again.

Sorry if I have offended and police owning plot holders but hey, you know the red tape that stops you effectively doing your job.

enough rammbling on&on&on&on&on :-X

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2005, 19:56:57 »
I can't help but feel that you and I are like minded people on this subject Andy H.
MM

supagranz

• Not So New ...
« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2005, 20:48:15 »
i'm a newie to this allotment but i would like to say that vandalism is everywhere  i live in a flat the only storage i had was my garage but that was broken into twice i'm hoping put a new shed up on my plot. we have metal fencing all the way round. we are lucky to have  a kitchen, a toilet, pic-nic area . to a newie it looks like a prison exercise yard but hey if its safe its ok with me.
Live to-day as if its your last as one day it surely will be

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2005, 08:34:49 »
Try a big sign saying something like "Be Aware - wasps nests - awaiting removal by authorities" and a quasi-legal "we cannot be held responsible etc. etc"

If it's written as if to the allotment holders themselves it would be less obviously a ruse.

Or you could get some rumours going about plague lime pits under the site still holding all sorts of bacteria - it's amazing how the hardest vandal gets very squeamish when it comes to flesh-eating bacteria!!

mark_h

• Quarter Acre
« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2005, 08:48:15 »
e ou.

So go one better, make a citizens arrest, you can use ANY force neccessary to carry out this act, the police wont comment much about this! but was something on the news last year...

Any force necessary? Are you sure?     I would sure love to do that- the vandals wouldn't though  ;D

Mark

Learner Gardener

• Not So New ...
« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2005, 16:00:19 »
I am worried about people using "any force" to detain alleged offenders. Only "reasonable" force can be used - beware, there is no definitive definition of "reasonable". As for detaining alleged offenders, private members of the public can detainsomeone as a "citizen's arrest" but they MUST BE CERTAIN an offence has occurred and is is an "arrestable offence" e.g. theft and they are CERTAIN that the person detained has committed that offence.

I would encourage people, individually, to report any damage or problems to the Police. In Merseyside, these reports generate"hotspot" locations of criminal damage and youth disorder. I have personal experience of people ringing the police to complain about a "regular" problem but when researched there are very few or no previous incidents. How can we then say that it is a regular problem. Also, if you wish to complain about any lack of police action to "problem solve" the incidents you will have no evidence to substantiate your claim that it is a regular occurrence. I am encouraging members of my allotment to report any and every incident of crime and disorder to ensure that a history of the problem is built up. In calling the police, if you feel that someone is imminently going to get hurt or property imminently going to be damaged or an offence has just occurred and the offenders are still at scene so that there is a good prospect of an early arrest, call "999". This is my professional opinion.

pixelated

• Not So New ...
« Reply #35 on: April 24, 2005, 15:03:56 »
I've had fence posts, tin sheets and a spade stolen, a friend has had his chickens thrown over the boundary fence twice so dogs could kill them. >:( Another guy before i arrived had a shed that he erected one day dismantled and gone the same night.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #36 on: April 24, 2005, 16:31:20 »
It's sickening, isn't it and very sad particularly about the chickens.  :'(
MM

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #37 on: April 24, 2005, 17:43:53 »
It is an ify one, I agree, reasonable force in my mind would be to the point of whatever was neccesary, the more they struggle the more they get hurt.
Shame about the definition but I feel recent events will maybe straighten this out.

Can kill burglars now cant we? ;D

westsussexlottie

• Acre
« Reply #38 on: April 25, 2005, 13:23:14 »
Apparently someone stole an in flower greengage tree from our neighbours allotment. They even filled the hole in afterwards - thoughtful.

Columbus

• Hectare
    • A Duel of Delight and Desperation Index page
« Reply #39 on: April 25, 2005, 17:40:20 »
Hi all,

I heard that a coil of razor wire makes really good crocks to put in the bottom of pots. Of course anyone ripping a plant out too rapidly could get badly injured.

I think plants like the iron, this is a gardening tip.

:)

Col
... I am warmed by winter sun and by the light in your eyes.
I am refreshed by the rain and the dew
And by thoughts of you...

SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal