Author Topic: Vandalism on lotties  (Read 4835 times)

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
Vandalism on lotties
« on: April 14, 2005, 19:57:00 »
I'm still waiting to get my lottie but people keep warning me about vandalism.  So I was wondering how many of you have experienced vandalism on your lotties or is it generally just kids mucking about or takings a few veg.

MM

bear

• Not So New ...
Re: Vandalism on lotties
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2005, 00:28:54 »
I think it depends on where the allotment site is. Some places don't seem to have too much trouble. The site where my plot is has a big housing estate nearby so I've been told that we do have some problems. I think that as long as I don't leave valuble tools on the plot and hide anything else I should be ok. I'm not going to put a door on my shed so that they don't need to break it down if they really want to go inside.

Ceri

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments 4 All
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 08:37:54 »
when you say problems, do you know any more detail - vandalism can go from the odd kicked bucket to full scale trash and burn - can you have a wander round the site and ask the plotters?

Lazybones

• Half Acre
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 08:54:24 »
I agree, it could be classed as a number of things.  I know some people have basically had their entire crops stolen overnight but that is specific targetting.  On our site we have an 8ft fence and padlocks so only plot holders can get in but we are in a City.

Best to ask around at your (proposed) lottie.  I rejected one I was offered nearer to home as it had no security and they had the odd problem but I know some areas are hard to get lottie's in.

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 09:33:36 »
I've heard we used to get lot of vandalism on our (disputed) site. one allotment holder told me some kids said they were going to burn down his shed later. they didn't, they just pushed it over!!
bring back the birch!
famous last words, but I'd rather someone nicked something to actually eat than just a bit of mindless vandalism...
I will finish it, one day

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 10:04:33 »
The problem on our Lottie (is that after spending £30,000 on an 8ft steel fence that nearly blew over in the wind followed by the fencers proping it up with steel rods.) ::)

The local children can roll underneath it in several places, as the fence falls short of the ground by at least a foot. ::) I counted no less than 8 young kids in there one Sunday, I felt quite threatened me being there all on my own. >:(

I have a meeting on site next week with the secretary, some peeps from the council and the fencing company, little ole me showing the white collar workers how insecure the Lottie is, not exactly rocket science. ::)

Anne Robertson

• Acre
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 10:19:36 »
We have wasteful vandalism about twice a year, just kids coming in and pulling up veg. randomly and leaving it lying around. As some one said it wouldn't be so bad if they were going to eat it.
Mind you we are not allowed sheds or anything permenant over a metre tall so there's nothing to attract the kids in in the first place.

Aidy

• Not So New ...
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 13:22:26 »
We had problems with kids stoning greenhouses and then we had a major burn out which took two fire tenders to sort, that was the last straw so the council put up a 8ft+ steel fence and that seems to have sorted the problems out, we are nearly a year on with not one incident.

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2005, 08:47:14 »
hi all
just a few things
in preston there is quite a few lottie sites and well there are good sites and well good ones in bad areasi feel that kids are only going to have a look round and well as i have found out they just want to cause trouble as in hideing your spade and stuff
my shed is well no picture but it works for me, all i store there is some old tools which are good for me to use but look not that good and some plastic and some bird seed
if you have a new nice looking one they will want to look in it
second thing a site down the road got toataly burnt out as there was gas left in more than one shed and the little buggers set the lot on fire and BANG
 :o

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2005, 20:52:52 »
Thanks for all your input.  As I had more than one choice of where to have a lottie but in very different locations I wanted to see where other lottie holders were located if they experienced mindless vandalism.
I have now made my choice.
thanks
MM

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2005, 21:16:55 »
and what's your choice MM? Btw, I stuck up a little sign asking folk to calll me if they want to save our allotment and/or want a plot....see how long it lasts before its torn down  -that will be a great indicator!!

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2005, 21:26:39 »
On our plots at Gatwick the vandelism is mindless ???
No veggies taken but frames destroyed and any glass smashed!

Oh the sound of breaking glass...........

I just got some more stuff destined for the landfill,some perspex.
Made a cold frame(tall and big) for  plot/pumpkin and got a comment about buying ones so tall! I said it was home-made from old placcy green house frame,perspex & rivets and wa sworried about vandals? the reply I got  was that it was plastic not glass so not such a target!

When we first got plot we padlocked the metal shed inherited with a MASSIVE padlock and the doors got kicked in(in school hols)

Roof ripped off.

When left unlocked and open,nothing happened.
Rivetted roof back on so their little hands get cut before they pull roof off again ;D

Would rather they asked for veg and I gave them some and they appreciated it......

Stopped some "kids" the other day and asked what they were doing and they said it our mums plot, so chatted with them and joked a bit about helping mum(which they didnt) and they said bye as they left ;)

Various situations in diffrent places,some is stolen veg and some is just young pratts bored.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2005, 21:29:01 »
Note:when it first happened I wanted to tear the buggers apart and camp out there. But was indicated to enjoy plot and ignore vandalism, dont worry too much about it, we only got touched compared to some but stay with it,contact police to report ANY incident and ask for incident number and continue...

Happy plotting, it is worth having one.

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2005, 21:36:04 »
Thanks Andy H.  Yes it's certainly the mindless vandalism that really gets to you.  We get it where I work so am familiar with reporting to police etc.  On a Monday morning you wonder what you are going to find.  Then you get told it's because they have nothing to do.  I think that's complete rubbish, there are things to do but some kids just want to cause trouble.  Thing is they spoil it for everyone.

Yeah made a great choice I reckon fl.  Didn't see your sign when we were there this morning, please don't say you put it up Saturday!  ???

MM

fat larry

• Half Acre
    • Save the plot
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2005, 21:46:21 »
good stuff. it shows how good the town council is though doesn't it? (sarcasm).

No, I only stuck the notice up at 1pm. no calls yet  though.

I might make a board this week rather than just sticking a piece of paper in a plastic folder, which could last a bit longer, I reckon;-)

Letter to the church and estate agent will go out this week, pleading for our plots amid increasing interest in the town, facts and figures etc.

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2005, 22:30:03 »
When we first got plot we padlocked the metal shed inherited with a MASSIVE padlock and the doors got kicked in(in school hols)

Roof ripped off.

When left unlocked and open,nothing happened.

Hi Andy, I'm thinking of having a shed, when you had padlocks was there anything pinched, ??? and when you left it unlocked was there anything worth pinching ??? I hear a few peeps say they leave the door off or unlocked and was wondering what things are left in there ???

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2005, 22:39:02 »
Over Christmas,  every shed on our lotties which had a window had that window smashed.
Those which had no windows but which were locked were forced open. The one shed that was all aluminium (after the owner's previous one was burned out in the previous spate of damage) was punctured by hitting it repeatedly with the signpost showing the plot numbers and locations.  Mine isn't locked and nothing valuable left inside (which is also deliberately a mess).  They took out the chair and threw it in my leeks.  They stomped on all my net-covered brassica frames.

I felt most sorry for the newbie folk who had built a recycled material shed and put a stained glass rose in. That went.

Fortunately it hasn't put them off.  But I sincerely hope that those... alleged members of the human race one day get their comeuppance.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

legless

• Hectare
  • Cheltenham, UK
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2005, 22:41:38 »
hesitant to post and tempt fate! we don't have too much vandalism, my next door neighbour who is also a plot holder has had his shed broken into a couple of times over the years but i don;'t keep anything i can't afford to lose down there. however when it does happen it is very bad, we had a terrible incident in 2003 where a plotholder suffered the horror of having about 100 chickens and ducks murdered horribly, i won't go into details but i'm shocked that i share this planet with the people who could do that.

Andy H

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2005, 23:00:21 »
Nothing of value to be taken and nothing taken,just vadalsim :(

Merlins Mum

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2005, 09:38:37 »
Oh Legless how awful,  :'(
I wouldn't give much for their chances if I could get my hands on those responsible, it just sickens me.  I'd bring back a lot more than the birch! but if caught they get not much more than a slap on the wrist.
I must say I would never ever risk having anything like chickens or ducks  (as much as I would love them) on my lottie for fear that someone would hurt them.

MM
« Last Edit: April 18, 2005, 17:10:14 by Merlins Mum »

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal