Author Topic: Cheapskate bed edging ideas?  (Read 15306 times)

gecko

• Not So New ...
Cheapskate bed edging ideas?
« on: April 10, 2005, 19:55:06 »
Another newbie question here!

We are going to try no dig system, and are looking to create raised beds therefore. However, I am a complete skinflint and begrudge paying out for new 6x1 timber boards to edge the beds with.

Anyone got any ideas on cheap (free?) edging materials?

Any help much appreciated!

Thanks

northener

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
Re: Cheapskate bed edging ideas?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 20:10:59 »
Hello if you look for raised beds in search you'll find some info

waggi

• Hectare
    • wagalicious
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 20:33:24 »
TRY GETTING THE FARMERS WEEKLY AND LOOK FOR RAILWAY SLEEPERS YOU CAN PICK THEM UP FOR NEXT TO NOWT
 :o

Roy Bham UK

• Hectare
  • Let's press flesh
    • http://community.webshots.com/user/roybhamuk
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2005, 21:04:16 »
Dig your paths around your beds lower? Result free raised bed. ;D

Catherine

• Not So New ...
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2005, 21:38:42 »
Good to know there are other cheapskates out there,
what do you all use for your paths,
I've heard of the few who get free bark chippings but what about all the rest of the skinflints out there? :-\
Catherine

Rose.mary

• Acre
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2005, 21:57:38 »
I have thin bits of carpet. It stops paths getting muddy and I can lift it every now and then to weed under it.
Rosemary

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 22:10:45 »
I have my own shredder - it's called a petrol lawnmower.  I just keep mowing over sticks and thin branches off my roses and trees  ;D  My husband would not approve  :(

You don't have to use any edges with your no dig raised beds - they aren't a necessity.  It just helps to contain manure and top dressings that's all.  You can buy reclaimed timber very cheaply, scaffolding planks, breeze blocks, bricks (I go out and look for them but I'm very sad indeed  ;D), rubber belting, upside down turfs, oil drums, anything at all to keep the soil contained.  It just depends whether you want to look at something attractive. ;)

I have today built a posh raised bed from a plastic kit from a local firm.  I did this as I wanted to build my own easily.  I have made two from timber and I don't think it was too easy or cheap.  I made a good job of them though but to give myself a break I built a kit job.  Not the plotty ethos but who gives a stuff.
The small box is just a sample - the actual raised bed is sort of four times the size (ish)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2005, 22:14:57 by wardy »
I came, I saw, I composted

Mrs Ava

• Hectare
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 22:44:35 »
Pallets for timber for edging.  Skip scrounge  ;D

busy_lizzie

• Hectare
  • Izzy wizzy lets get busy! Whitley Bay, Tyne & Wear
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 22:51:54 »
Most of our beds are edged with wood but none of it has been bought.  Skips are an incredible sources for materials for the lottie, and it is amazing what people throw away.  It is an especially good time of year for them too. There are at least half a dozen of them in our surrounding streets at the moment that have an abundance of wood, bricks and pallets in them if we needed them.  

Not only for the allotment but a street away from us last year, somebody ripped out their wood panelled hall, the most beautiful wood, and piled it high in a Skip.  Ever the eagle eye I knocked on the door and asked if we could take some and we were told to help ourselves.  I can't list all the things my husband has done with all of this lovely wood, but he has made really good use of it. Somebody from the same Street also had a water butt in a Skip which they were only too happy for us to take.  At the end of last year someone in our street was moving house and I think they must have been going for a fresh start as there was a new fax machine, a lovely camphor wood chest, a juicer and blender and much more in the Skip outside their house.  All really good stuff.  It is not that we are like Steptoe and Sons but it seems such a waste to us to dispose of things in this way when they could be recycled perfectly easily.

So my advice to you is look for some Skips around your area.  Always be sure to ask politely befor you take anything though.  :D busy_lizzie    
live your days not count your years

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 00:36:57 »
My water butt was what someone else was throwing out.  We live in such a throwaway society today.  Tt  ;D

chrispea27

• Acre
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 07:13:52 »
Got to agree love live the skip rats?
Why waste all the lovely wood etc...stops some landfill!
Chris Pea

djbrenton

• Hectare
  • I love Allotments4All
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 09:00:57 »
We are on good terms with a demolition contractor. You might be surprised to know that they have trouble disposing of sleepers and other large timber if it has nails in it. Most large timber goes to a recycler but if it fails the metal detector they are stuck with it, so every now and then we get a free lorry load of wood up to 6mt long of various widths up to sleeper size. Unbelievable! We also got in touch with the council and have them drop loads of wood chips when they prune/chop down trees in our area. One man's gold dust is often a disposal problem for someone else.

Garden Manager

• Hectare
  • Denman the Great
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:27:49 »
I'd agree on the old pallet board idea, though personaly I have got bought in boards on my raised beds.

Have though just 'recycled' an old pallet for edging boards elsewhere on the kitchen plot.

We've just had some building work done. On a few occasions i fould myself diging in the skip for bricks and wood that the builders had thrown away. Used some of the bricks to make a rustic 'crazy paving' type path in the garden. Other rescued bricks have been used to edge paths.

Justy

• Hectare
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 17:13:40 »
I have used pallets for mine and also some off cuts of roofing joists that my dad had.  The best pallets are the really long ones that large loads of building materials are delivered on.  They are a bit trikier to get hold of because a lot of places reuse them but one pallet can make a complete bed.

I have been reading a long running debate on another site re edging for beds and the pros and cons but I much prefer it as I only have to dig and enrich that one area, the grass does not encroach so much and I can easily strim the paths without damaging the plants.  I have three beds built (4ft x 14ft) and am just waiting for enough wood for two more.

I am the only one on our lottie site who uses edged beds and I do get some funny looks.  One man asked me why I was making so many seed beds!   ::)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 17:41:40 »
By us here in Uden they have made new speed control
things.............left all the Sand [Builders] have about six bags to date for mixing with the Compost about  150 Kilo to date. :D  Loads of Paving Bricks there too, me thinks new path care of the Gemeente[ Council] ???
Plus used a lot for setting the Slabs!!

Now waiting for the Police to knock the door haha :'(

Re-cycled wood from my friends fence made the [ Singing Compost Bin]
Sometimes its better to listen than to talk

moonbells

• Hectare
  • Growing up
    • Moonbells' allotment diary
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2005, 10:30:02 »
My water butt was what someone else was throwing out.  We live in such a throwaway society today.  Tt  ;D

Yes, I know. I found one at the local dump one day and they let me take it for a quid.

moonbells
Diary of my Chilterns lottie (NEW LOCATION!): http://www.moonbells.com/allotment/allotment.html

Svea

• Hectare
  • ...getting the hang of things...
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2005, 13:54:42 »
i like going down to the local tip.
they call it the 'recycling and reuse' centre - and they dont mind at all if you take stuff to reuse it somewhere else
i found huge planters/pots there two weeks ago which will stand on my concrete bit which i cant break out.

i need to get more bits of wood though, not just for edging beds (i only edged along the main path, not all around the beds) and also for paths between beds. planks of wood work well. or carpet. i need to go scavanging again soon :D
Gardening in SE17 since 2005 ;)

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2005, 17:31:36 »
Svea ;D ;D ;D
Good Hunting 8)

wardy

• Hectare
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2005, 15:54:02 »
Here's one of two raised beds on our allotments.  One has sides of corrugated iron and Superbox (roofing sheets).  The other one is made from a metre high rubber belting and railways sleepers.  They're great to work at as no bending required.  They grow stuff really well and rabbits can't nibble our cabbages  ;D
« Last Edit: April 15, 2005, 15:59:12 by wardy »

TULIP-23

• Hectare
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2005, 18:56:50 »
Very Smart....Chique!! 8)

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal