Author Topic: I LIKE THIS- A DIGITAL ONE  (Read 2858 times)

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
I LIKE THIS- A DIGITAL ONE
« on: January 19, 2017, 22:09:08 »
Noticed in LIDL today a very neat battery operated digital inside/outside thermometer with clock.

Comes with 3m lead to outside probe, full instructions and aa alkaline battery. Easy to set, also records min and max within the 24 hr day and a bleeper if the temperature detected reaches 0 deg.
Would have been very rude not to buy one, should have bought two but sealed in a box, one has to be cautious...
 Very impressed with this . It works accurately. Not suitable for outside installation of damp areas but I think it ideal for greenhouses,with sensible location, either to monitor inside/outside or inside gh/inside propagator or surface/bed of sand benches. My second one (Let me get one more before they go!!), will be adapted attached to a tube probe to plunge into compost heaps/manure and any little crevice that looks inviting(!)

The price -£2.99, less than a pint.

Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

peanuts

• Hectare
Re: I LIKE THIS- A DIGITAL ONE
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 07:03:35 »
Interesting question, ancellsfarmer, that we have been asking ourselves this past year, having various thermometers which give different read-outs, how do you know it is accurate?! it is easy to assume that digital thermometers or digital scales for that matter, are accurate and reliable, surely they must be, especially if they give a reading to one or two decimal points.  Doing various comparisons, we have found that they are not necessarily accurate at all, giving surprisingly different readings!  Perhaps accuracy only comes at a price?  No, we have found that isn't so as well!
Any views on this?

ancellsfarmer

• Hectare
  • Plot is London clay, rich in Mesozoic fossils
Re: I LIKE THIS- A DIGITAL ONE
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2017, 21:18:32 »
Fair question.
Classic method would involve measuring boiling de-ionised water at sea level to determine 100deg C, but max range quoted as 70deg. Similarly, iced water at 0deg, checked  mix at 15 min intervals and determined as mean. No time to faf about like that!
So, compared with my quality thermostat for the gas fire, reading 20.8deg C- within 1 degree.
 The "outside " probe placed within armpit for five minutes registered , after 1 minute, a steady 34.7 deg. C
The declared accuracy reads" range outside -50deg C to +70 deg, tolerance -50-0deg c +/-2deg, 0-30deg, tolerance+/- 1 deg C, 30-70deg C, +/- 2 deg C"
Close enough for our purposes I think.
Freelance cultivator qualified within the University of Life.

anything
SimplePortal 2.3.5 © 2008-2012, SimplePortal